Duke neurologist Joel Morgenlander, MD, offers these helpful tips to follow after a concussion -- whether you’re a kid or an adult:
- Get plenty of sleep at night, and rest during the day. Keep a regular schedule -- no late nights, no sleepovers for kids.
- Avoid activities that are physically demanding, require a lot of concentration, or are mentally or emotionally stressful.
- Avoid multitasking -- whether that’s watching TV while fixing dinner or fielding multiple messages on your smart phone.
- Your reaction times may be slower, so ask your doctor when you can safely drive a car, ride a bike, or operate major equipment.
- Consider returning to work or school gradually -- start with half-days if possible.
- Take only drugs that your health care professional has approved.
- Adults: no alcohol
- Kids: no video games