Conditions that Affect Children's Bladder, Kidney, and Genitalia
There are many reasons why your child may need care from a pediatric urologist. Our specialists treat children who experience common conditions such as bed wetting, urinary tract infections, and incontinence, as well as conditions that require complex care such as repairing birth defects, managing kidney tumors, and performing reconstructive surgery for genital disorders. No matter what brings your child to our pediatric urologists, you can feel confident that he or she is in good hands. Our team is skilled, compassionate, and understands the effects bladder, kidney, and genital disorders have on children of all ages. Our only goal is to help your child feel better, both physically and emotionally.
Pediatric Urology Care for All Ages and Conditions
Our pediatric urology program is ranked among the nation’s best by U.S. News & World Report every year. When you choose Duke Children’s, your child gets care from a team that’s known for top-quality care.
- The same pediatric urologists and nurse practitioners who care for your child also participate in research to help improve care and treatments for kids. That means your child can receive some of today’s most promising therapies at Duke -- treatments you can’t find anywhere else nearby.
- If your child’s condition is complex, he or she will experience the convenience of seeing specialists right in the Duke Health system. Our pediatric urologists work closely with Duke Health specialists in nephrology to treat kidney conditions, endocrinology to care for glandular and hormonal conditions, developmental pediatrics, cancer care, neurology, surgery, orthopaedics, and other pediatric specialties. When surgery is needed, we work exclusively with fellowship-trained specialists in pediatric anesthesia. Together we provide your child with comprehensive care.
- For children whose urology issues are lifelong, our pediatric doctors work collaboratively with specialists throughout Duke Health, so your child’s transition to adult care and services is seamless.
- You can rest assured that your child will receive the safest, gentlest care. Our radiologists use noninvasive imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI whenever possible to diagnose medical concerns and develop effective care plans. When surgery is necessary, we use minimally invasive procedures, when appropriate, which use smaller incisions and let your child feel better faster.
- In addition to complex conditions, our experts provide care for children for more common conditions, such as bedwetting and undescended testicles.
- If your child requires hospitalization, we provide kid-friendly care from a team that specializes in taking care of young patients and supporting families.
- We treat kids of all ages, including specialized care for pediatric conditions that are diagnosed during a pregnancy ultrasound. Our pediatric urologists work closely with OB-GYNs and maternal-fetal experts to plan your child’s treatment as soon as possible.
- Our pediatric urologists work as a team to manage conditions that aren’t treated everywhere, such as disorders of sex development, complex kidney tumors, and gender disorders -- care you can only find at a nationally recognized center like Duke Children’s.