You don’t have to travel far to receive the latest advances in cancer care. Duke cancer centers in Durham, Raleigh, and Cary offer you access to cancer doctors, treatment advances, and clinical trials only available at the best cancer hospitals in the U.S. In fact, some of the latest cancer treatment breakthroughs were discovered by Duke researchers. We know cancer treatment is a difficult journey that affects you physically, emotionally, and psychologically. We offer you and your family the comprehensive care and support you need, close to where you live and work.
Conditions, Procedures, Screenings
Learn more about the cancers we treat and the procedures and screenings we perform.
- Anal Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Bone Metastasis
- Breast Cancer
- Colon Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Eye Cancer
- Gallbladder Cancer and Bile Duct Cancer Treatment
- Glioblastoma and Other Primary Brain Cancers
- Gynecologic Cancers
- Head and Neck Cancers
- Hereditary Cancer Services
- Kidney Cancer
- Leukemia Treatment
- Liver Cancer Treatment
- Lung Cancer
- Lung Cancer Screening
- Lymphoma Treatment
- Metastatic Brain or Spine Cancer Treatment
- Multiple Myeloma
- Myeloproliferative Disorders (Blood Cancers) Treatments
- Oral Cancers
- Palliative Care
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Primary Spine Cancer and Benign Spine Tumors
- Prostate Cancer
- Rectal Cancer
- Skin Cancers
- Stomach Cancer
- Testicular Cancer
Duke Health offers comprehensive cancer treatment at cancer centers in Durham, Raleigh, and Cary.
Choosing Where to Receive Cancer Treatment
Choosing where and from whom you'll receive cancer care is one of the most important decisions you will make. You’ll want a specialist in your specific cancer, someone who is experienced with the latest diagnostic and treatment advances, and who has the resources to ensure you receive the very best cancer care available.
As a major cancer hospital, Duke offers all of these things through its teams of cancer doctors. Here are some of the many reasons to choose our cancer doctors and our cancer hospitals in Durham and Raleigh for your care.
A Team Approach
Many different cancer doctors and cancer-specific health professionals work together to coordinate your care. Studies show that receiving cancer treatment from multiple specialists results in better outcomes. Your team may include:
- Surgical Oncologists. Often your cancer care starts with a type of surgical procedure to remove cancer. Your cancer surgeon will evaluate the type and stage of your cancer and recommend the procedure that's right for you.
- Medical Oncologists. Oversee chemotherapy, immunotherapies, and targeted treatments when they are part of your cancer treatment plan.
- Radiation Oncologists. Targeted and shortened courses of radiation therapy may be used to shrink tumors before or after surgery. Duke radiation oncologists will also teach you techniques to minimize radiation exposure to your normal healthy tissues.
- Plastic Surgeons. When necessary, a plastic surgeon may help you understand your reconstruction options.
- You may also interact with counselors, nutritionists, pharmacists, social workers, and other cancer-specific caregivers who support you and your cancer treatment.
Personalized Treatment Options and Clinical Trial Access
Many of our cancer doctors are recognized leaders for their roles in developing new drugs, cancer vaccines, and novel approaches to treating cancer and related symptoms through our clinical trials. Ongoing clinical trials also explore genomics, which is the study of genes, how they function, and their impact on health. These efforts and providing access to these ongoing clinical trials help us personalize your cancer treatment options.
Treatment Near Your Home or Work
Convenience is important when it comes to ongoing cancer care. You can see your doctors, get lab work and imaging tests, and receive certain types of treatment at our cancer centers in Durham, Raleigh, and Cary. In addition, the Duke Cancer Network provides an array of cancer services in a network of community cancer programs in North Carolina and many other states.
Advanced Imaging Tools for Cancer Screening, Diagnosis
Our board-certified radiologists use 3-D scans, high-resolution cameras, and other advanced technologies to detect cancer at the earliest possible stage. The new technology allows us to find smaller cancers that are difficult to detect on traditional imaging machines.
Comprehensive Support for You and Your Loved Ones
Our cancer support services help you and your loved ones cope with cancer and survivorship. We offer individual counseling sessions with certified therapists, financial counseling, and help with housing and transportation. We also offer support groups, spiritual guidance, and recreation therapy. View all of our cancer support groups.
Staff members at the Duke Cancer Center’s Patient Resource Center provide information on prevention, early detection, disease-specific cancers, treatments, side effects, research and clinical trials, complementary therapies, support, emotional care, children's concerns, and end-of-life care. We offer classes in chemotherapy education, breast reconstruction, cancer nutrition, quitting smoking, diabetes education, and free legal services.
Accredited Cancer Treatment Center
Our cancer services fall under the umbrella of the Duke Cancer Institute, which brings together the extensive resources of Duke University, Duke Health, and the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- As a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center, we provide a level of cancer expertise and experience only found in the top 4 percent of U.S. centers.
- We are also part of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers dedicated to improving patient care.
Where you receive your cancer care is important. Duke University Hospital is proud of our team and the exceptional care they provide. They are why our cancer program is nationally ranked, and the highest ranked program in North Carolina, according to U.S. News & World Report for 2020–2021.