Duke palliative care experts help you experience relief from the pain, symptoms, and stress of serious illness. No matter your age or stage of your illness, we work closely with you and your doctors to help you navigate your healthcare and understand your treatment options. Our goals are to help you gain physical, emotional and psychological strength, and ensure you and your family experience the best possible quality of life.
Palliative care is a partnership
The debilitating effects of serious illness are often magnified by physical, mental and spiritual pain and suffering. As palliative care experts, we partner with you, your family, and your medical team to help you find relief. Our team of doctors, nurse practitioners, social workers and chaplains work closely with patients who are undergoing treatment for cancer, heart disease, lung disease, neurological disorders and other serious illnesses. We provide an added layer of support every step of the way. We help you navigate the healthcare system, provide guidance in the complex treatment choices you face, and help you better communicate with your physicians and your family.
Research shows that palliative care significantly improves quality of life and may even prolong life. For information about our program, please call 919-668-7215.
- Inpatient and outpatient services. Whether you are in the hospital, or being seen as an outpatient, our services are available to you, and accessible throughout the Duke system. We also work closely with Duke HomeCare and Hospice to arrange for post-hospital care at other facilities or in your home.
- A dedicated team of skilled experts. The palliative care team includes physicians who are subspecialists in palliative medicine. They work alongside nurses, social workers and chaplains who are also specially trained in palliative care. As a team, we have years of experience working closely with patients young and old, and at all stages of disease.
- We focus on making you feel better. Providing relief and preventing your suffering are our main goals. That is true whether you are pushing through a vigorous curative treatment, or require end-of-life care. We focus on helping you feel better regardless of your prognosis.
- International leader in palliative care research. We are a coordinating center for studies and clinical trials that seek to better understand the impact of living with a serious illness and the role palliative care interventions can play. Our research has identified better ways to manage symptoms, and improve communication between physicians, patients and their families. You may be eligible to participate in these studies, which will give you access to new therapies for treating symptoms, ways to manage the stress of illness, and novel communication approaches.
- We help you define your goals. We work with you to understand your treatment, make decisions, and clarify your goals and values. We help you communicate your desires and wishes to your family and your medical team.