Oncology Recreation Therapy
The Oncology Recreation Therapy (ORT) program is a component of the Duke Cancer Patient Support Program. The purpose of the ORT is to assist adults with cancer and their families in adjusting to their illness, treatment and hospitalization. One-on-one recreational therapy treatment interventions facilitated by a Licensed Recreation Therapist (LRT), along with general recreational activities and resources, are offered to assist patients and their families in maintaining and/or improving functioning and well-being in the physical, social, emotional, cognitive and leisure domains.
Our Services (One-on-One and Groups)
- Low Impact Physical Functioning
- Nintendo Wii Sports/Wii Fit, Cornhole, Ladder Golf, Putt-Putt, Walking Program
- Stress Management/Relaxation Techniques
- Guided Imagery, Progressive Muscle Relaxation, Deep Breathing
- Cancer Center Belk Boutique
- Legacy Building
- Recordable Storybooks, Life Story, Hand Molds, Scrapbooks, Journals, Voice/Video Recordings
- Expressive Arts/Leisure Skill Development
- Painting, Knitting, Journaling, Drawing, etc.
- Pet Therapy
- Procedural Support & Preparation
- DVD Lending Library
- Arts & Crafts Supplies
- Knitting/Crochet Supplies
- Board Games
- Playing Cards
- Crossword, Word Search & Sudoku
- Jigsaw Puzzles
- Guitar & Keyboard
- Journaling Supplies
- Audio Books
Does it Cost Anything?
Oncology Recreation Therapy services are offered at no cost to patients. Most of the resources provided are made possible through donations and fundraisers.
Confirmation of Internships
Internship opportunities are available for recreation therapy students attending an accredited college or university studying recreation therapy and on track for national certification and/or licensure. The Duke Oncology Recreation Therapy internship requires a minimum of 14 uninterrupted week and total of 560 hours. Internships are offered in the spring semester only at this time. Apply for a Duke Oncology Recreation Therapy Internship.
Volunteers Make Our Program a Success
Duke's Oncology Recreation Therapy Program extends even further to support more patients and their families with the help of volunteers. Learn more about volunteer opportunities with our program.