Becoming a Community Volunteer
Duke University Hospital
All of our volunteers have unique reasons for volunteering their time and skills. Duke Health volunteers have the opportunity to be of service to our patients, their families, the staff and the greater community while also gaining the personal satisfaction of knowing that they have helped others.
Community Volunteer Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age and not enrolled as an undergraduate student.
- Commitment for one year (2-4 hours per week, depending on program).
- Commitment to complete the application process and mandatory orientation/training.
Review Openings & Interview
- Review our current volunteer opportunities and choose a program of interest.
- Schedule an interview with the volunteer coordinator.
- Complete and return the Volunteer Application (PDF, 270 KB) to your volunteer coordinator at your interview.
Before you are scheduled to volunteer, you must complete the following:
- Mandatory hospital orientation.
- Departmental orientation with volunteer supervisor.
Our Way of Saying Thank You
Because our volunteers are so valuable to us, we offer the following benefits in appreciation:
- Free parking
- Free volunteer vest
- Free flu shots
- Duke ID Badge
- Volunteer Appreciation event
- Invitations to hospital events
- Discounts at some food establishments within the hospital
Current Volunteer Opportunities
View the Current Volunteer Opportunities.