Current Volunteer Opportunities at Duke Raleigh Hospital
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers have always been a special part of the warm, personal touch that Duke Raleigh Hospital is known for. We invite you to contribute your special talents to our volunteer service program. Our dedicated volunteers work throughout the hospital. Their work is integral to the operation of many departments and their enthusiasm boosts the morale of the patients, visitors, and hospital staff.
Your Special Talents Are Needed
People volunteer at Duke Raleigh Hospital for lots of different reasons and come from a myriad of backgrounds, but they all have at least one thing in common: they volunteer so they can use their special talents, learn new skills, and do the things they like to do.
We offer opportunities to people of all ages and skill levels. Volunteers welcome the public and assist patients throughout the hospital
To learn about available positions and to download an application, choose the program that best fits you:
How to Become a Volunteer
- Complete an application and return it to the volunteer office (applications are available on each volunteer program page)
- Interview with the volunteer coordinator
- Complete a TB test and meet with our employee health nurse -- we can provide a TB test for adults; students must provide results of a negative TB test within the last year
- Complete and submit a criminal background check (adults 18 and older)
- Attend orientation
- Purchase a uniform ($20)
- Volunteer a minimum of one four-hour shift a week
Our Way of Saying Thank You
Because our volunteers are so valuable to us, we offer the following benefits in appreciation:
- Pharmacy discounts
- $5.00 meal voucher in the Duke Raleigh Cafe for each four-hour shift
- Free parking
- Free flu shots
- Invitations to hospital events
- Volunteer banquet
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Duke Cancer Patient Support Program
Duke Cancer Patient Support Program volunteers play a critical role in the day-to-day activities in our Wake County Duke Cancer Center locations. Volunteers provide conversation and comfort, offer refreshments and help locate areas and resources in the clinics and hospital. Join the team:
- Become a Volunteer Ambassador where you’ll greet and provide hospitality to patients and families, assist with directing and escorting patients to check-in for their appointments and provide refreshments and a listening ear to patients and caregivers.
- Assist patients with self-image products, such as wigs, hats and turbans as a Self-Image Program Volunteer.
- Become a Volunteer Facilitator, assisting with our pet therapy sessions during our Pets at Duke visits.
This program is looking for community volunteers and college student volunteers.
- Contact: Kate Gayhardt, 919-954-3133