To apply as a new volunteer, please complete the application requirements below and submit to Volunteer Services no later than Monday, March 2, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
If you volunteered at Duke Regional last summer and wish to return this year, all requirements are the same as those for new volunteers. However, reference forms will be waived. Please complete the application requirements below (excluding the reference forms) and submit to Volunteer Services no later than Monday, March 2, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Step 1 - Application (Completed by Student)
Applications are now closed for the Junior Volunteer program in summer 2020. No additional applications will be accepted.
Step 2 - In-Person Interviews
All applications will be reviewed. Since this volunteer program is highly competitive, everyone who applies may not be invited to an in-person interview. All students will receive a “Next Steps” email on Monday, March 9, 2020. If you are invited for an in-person interview, please follow the instructions in the “Next Steps” email to sign up for an in-person interview.
- Interviews will be held on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, from 3:30 to 7:30 pm, Thursday, March 19, 2020, from 3:30 to 7:30 pm, and Saturday, March 21, 2020, from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. No other dates/times will be offered.
- Students will need to bring the following items to their interview in order to be considered for placement:
- Two Reference forms (PDF, 241.63 KB) to be completed by non-family members. Each must be in a sealed envelope (signed on top of the seal).
- School Counselor Reference Form (PDF, 346.02 KB) must be in a sealed envelope (signed on top of the seal).
- Duke Minors Program Participation Agreement (PDF, 403.22 KB) to be completed by both the student and the parent/guardian.
Step 3 - Decision
Final decisions and service schedule will be communicated to all students by Friday, April 10, 2020.
Step 4 - Physician Form
- Students accepted will need to submit the following three completed forms by Friday, May 15, 2020.
- Forms may be submitted via:
- Email to DRHVolunteerServices@dm.duke.edu. Please format the file name of the application and subject line of the email as “Junior Application – your last name, first name.”
- Mail to Volunteer Services, Duke Regional Hospital, 3643 N. Roxboro Street, Durham, NC 27704
- Drop off at the Volunteer Services office at Duke Regional Hospital. The office is on the first level, beside the main elevators.
Step 5 - Orientation
All junior volunteers must attend a mandatory hospital orientation Monday, June 15, 2020, from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm at the hospital. No alternative dates will be scheduled.
- Application Submissions accepted beginning Monday, January 27, 2020, and ending Monday, March 2, 2020.
- In-person Interviews for invited students only, will be held on Interviews will be held on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, from 3:30 to 7:30 pm, Thursday, March 19 from 3:30 to 7:30 pm, and Saturday, March 21 from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. No other dates/times will be offered.
- Decisions and schedule will be communicated to students by Friday, April 10, 2020.
- Signed Health Forms must be submitted to Duke Regional Hospital Volunteer Services by Friday, May 15, 2020.
- Mandatory Hospital Orientation will be held on Monday, June 15, 2020, from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm for all new and returning junior volunteers. Assignments will be given after orientation.
If you have any follow-up questions, contact Volunteer Services at DRHVolunteerServices@dm.duke.edu or 919-470-4150.