- Be at least 18 years old.
- Adhere to Duke University Policies and Procedures.
- Flu (Seasonal) and COVID-19 full vaccination + booster required (exemptions may be filed).
- Completion of the application process, including references, background screening, and health clearance. Note: Please review the health screening requirements below.
- Completion of mandatory hospital and department orientation/training.
- The expected volunteer commitment is a minimum of 2 academic semesters.
- Weekly volunteer attendance of a minimum of 2 to 4 hours per week is required based on the department’s scheduling needs. These will be noted in the position descriptions.
Please note: Once assigned, these programs will be counting on your assistance. Your academic advisor may request attendance information at any time. Excessive absences may be cause for dismissal from the volunteer program.
Health Clearance Requirements
To be accepted into the College Student Program, please make sure that you meet the following immunization requirements:
- 1 dose of Tdap within the last 10 years
- 2 doses of MMR or a positive antibody titer
- 2 doses of Varicella or a positive antibody titer
- If you have not had TB testing in the US in the past 6 months from the application date, TB testing is required.
- IGRA blood tests (QuantiFERON-TB Gold or T-spots) or ppd skin tests are accepted.
- All IGRA tests must include the lab report.
- All ppd skin tests must include date placed, date read, result in mm, interpretation, and signature and credentials of the person reading the test.
- PPD skin tests must be read within 48-72 hours of placement.
- A complete WHO (World Health Organization) approved COVID-19 vaccine series plus a booster dose, per CDC time guidelines.
- Exemptions/Deferral - Those seeking approval for medical or religious exemptions or pregnancy deferral should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an exemption form. Students who already have an exemption on file, do not need to send another form.
- 2022/2023 flu vaccine once it is available. There will be campus flu shot clinics offered by Duke Student Health across the Duke University campus for Duke Students and across Duke University Hospital for all volunteers in September.
Health Screening Process for Duke Students
Please note: Failure to complete any of the steps below may impact your volunteer placement. If you are missing any of the above immunizations, please obtain them before submitting your Request for a Health Clearance (Step 3).
Become a Volunteer
We are currently not accepting any new volunteer candidates for the College Student Volunteer program. The Volunteer Services team will be assessing volunteer needs for summer and fall and an update will be announced by the end of March 2023.
To learn more about Duke University Hospital's available volunteer opportunities, browse the Duke University Hospital Directory.