College Student Program
Duke University Hospital
Duke University Hospital is pleased to offer a volunteer program for college students. Although the program is designed to meet core competencies for students considering a career in health professions, volunteering is open to all majors.
Volunteer programs at Duke University Hospital do not provide clinical or shadowing experience. They do, however, provide opportunities for patient and family engagement with a hospital or clinic setting.
Program Requirements For New and Returning Volunteers
- Be at least 18 years old.
- The expected volunteer commitment is a minimum of 2 academic semesters.
- Weekly volunteer attendance of a minimum of 2 to 4 hours per week is required based on the department’s scheduling needs. These will be noted in the position descriptions.
- Once assigned, these programs will be counting on your assistance. Your academic advisor may request attendance information at any time.
- Excessive absences may be cause for dismissal from the volunteer program.
Fall College Student Program
Spring College Student Program
- The Application Process for spring volunteers begins in mid-November and closes in December.
- The Spring Volunteer Session runs from January to mid-May.
- We are not currently accepting applications for the Spring College Volunteer Program.
Summer College Student Program
- The Application Process for summer volunteers begins in mid-March and closes in May.
- The Summer Volunteer Session runs from mid-May to late August.
- We are not currently accepting applications for the Summer College Volunteer Program.
- Summer Commitment – You must be able to commit a minimum of 50-100 hours (depending on the requirements of the program) for at least 10 weeks between May and August.
- Successful candidates must be 18 or older and have completed freshman year of college in good standing.