- Junior volunteers must commit to eight weeks and at least eight hours a week during the summer.
- Junior volunteers must be in high school and fall between the ages of 16 to 17 on the first day of the program.
- Volunteer shift hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to noon and from noon to 4:00 pm.
- Junior volunteers are expected to behave professionally and maturely at all times.
- All junior volunteers must have parental permission and provide proof of all childhood immunizations and proof of negative TB test within the last twelve months.
- Junior volunteers are required to wear a uniform, which will be provided at orientation. They will also wear a Duke Raleigh Hospital badge at all times. Shorts, mini-skirts, and jeans are not allowed.
- Junior volunteers may not leave the hospital campus for any reason during their volunteer shift without parental permission.
Become a Volunteer
To apply as a new volunteer, please complete the application below and submit to Volunteer Services no later than Saturday, February 29, 2020, at 11:59 pm. Any application received after this date will not be considered. Students are to complete the application, not a parent or guardian.
If you volunteered at Duke Raleigh Hospital last summer and wish to return this year, all requirements are the same as those for new volunteers. However, reference forms will be waived. Please complete the application below and submit to Volunteer Services no later than Saturday, February 29, 2020, at 11:59 pm.
Applications are now closed for the Junior Volunteer program in summer 2020. No additional applications will be accepted.
Applicants who have been selected for an interview will be notified via email by March 20, 2020. Students should bring the following documents to their interview:
- Interview Instructions and Checklist (PDF, 247 KB)
- Student Counselor Reference Form (PDF, 211 KB). Please note that this document must be in a sealed envelope from the preparer or emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student Official/Teacher Reference Form (PDF, 259 KB). Please note that this document must be in a sealed envelope from the preparer or emailed directly to email@example.com.
- Participation Agreement (PDF, 224 KB)
- Physician Form (PDF, 198 KB). Please note that TB tests take up to 72 hours for results, so do not delay scheduling a physician appointment.
For more information or to request a printed copy of the application, please contact our volunteer coordinator at 919-954-3887.