Junior Volunteer Summer Program
Duke Raleigh Hospital
The Junior Volunteer Summer Program provides high school students, ages 14 to 17, the opportunity to experience a variety of activities in a hospital setting. As they assist and comfort our patients and visitors, junior volunteers learn valuable lessons that they will use throughout their adult lives. This program is only offered during the summer months.
Junior Volunteer Requirements
- The ten week program begins on June 17, 2019 and concludes on August 23, 2019.
- Each junior volunteer must commit to a minimum of eight weeks and volunteer at least eight hours a week.
- Junior volunteers must be in high school and fall between the ages of 14-17 on the first day of the program.
- Volunteer shift hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - noon and noon - 4 p.m.
- Junior volunteers are expected to behave in a professional and mature manner at all times.
- All junior volunteers must have parental permission and provide proof of all childhood immunizations and proof of negative TB test within the last twelve months.
- In keeping with our professional staff image, junior volunteers are required to wear a uniform, which they will purchase at orientation. They will also wear a Duke Raleigh Hospital badge at all times. Shorts, mini-skirts, and jeans are not allowed.
- Junior volunteers may not leave the hospital campus for any reason during their volunteer shift without parental permission.
Become a Volunteer
Junior volunteers must complete an application and submit between February 1 - February 28. Applications submitted via postal mail must be postmarked between February 1 - February 28. After applications are reviewed, approved applicants will be emailed a link to select a time for an interview. Additional forms are to be completed prior to the interview and brought with the applicant.
- Junior Volunteer Application (PDF, 106.15 KB)
- Junior Volunteer Pre-Orientation Checklist (PDF, 86.44 KB)
- Counselor Reference Form (PDF, 93.52 KB)
- School Official/Teacher Reference Form (PDF, 93.43 KB)
- Physician Form (PDF, 84.37 KB)
- Participation Agreement (PDF, 93.21 KB)
Please send your application to:
Duke University Hospital
Attn: Volunteer Services
3400 Wake Forest Rd.
Raleigh, NC 27609
For more information or to request a printed copy of the application, please contact our volunteer coordinator at 919-954-3887.