- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Adhere to Duke Raleigh Hospital Policies and Procedures.
- Flu (Seasonal) and COVID-19 full vaccination and booster required (exemptions may be filed).
- Completion of the application process, including references, background screening, and health clearance. Note: Please review the health screening requirements below.
- Completion of mandatory hospital and department orientation/training.
- The expected volunteer commitment is a minimum of two academic semesters.
- Weekly volunteer attendance of a minimum of four hours per week.
Please note: Once assigned, these programs will be counting on your assistance.
Health Clearance Requirements
To be accepted into the college student Program, please make sure that you meet the following immunization requirements:
- 1 dose of Tdap within the last 10 years
- 2 doses of MMR or a positive antibody titer
- 2 doses of Varicella or a positive antibody titer
- If you have not had TB testing in the US in the past 6 months from the application date, TB testing is required.
- IGRA blood tests (QuantiFERON-TB Gold or T-spots) or ppd skin tests are accepted.
- All IGRA tests must include the lab report.
- All ppd skin tests must include date placed, date read, result in mm, interpretation, and signature and credentials of the person reading the test.
- PPD skin tests must be read within 48-72 hours of placement.
- A complete WHO (World Health Organization) approved COVID-19 vaccine series plus a booster dose, per CDC time guidelines.
- Exemptions/Deferral - Those seeking approval for medical or religious exemptions or pregnancy deferral should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an exemption form. Students who already have an exemption on file, do not need to send another form.
- 2022/2023 flu vaccine once it is available. There will be campus flu shot clinics offered by Duke Raleigh Hospital Employee Health across the Duke Raleigh campus for all volunteers in September.
Become a Volunteer
If you are interested in the college student volunteer program for fall 2022, please complete the volunteer application.
To learn more about Duke Raleigh Hospital's available volunteer opportunities, browse the Duke Raleigh Hospital Directory.
If you are interested in a program that is not accepting applications for volunteers at this time, please consider volunteering for one of our other available opportunities listed.