Junior Volunteer Summer Program
Duke University Hospital
Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for the 2019 Junior Volunteer Program. Please check this page in January 2020 for information about next summer’s program.
Would you like a rewarding summer experience as a volunteer in a fast-paced medical center or clinic setting? If you are 15 to 17 years of age and are interested in serving and helping others within a hospital, the Junior Volunteer Program is a wonderful program to consider.
Maturity, compassion and a willingness to serve others are some of the characteristics we seek in our high school volunteer program. As junior volunteers assist and engage with our patients and visitors, they learn valuable lessons that they will use throughout their adult lives. This program is only offered during the summer months.
Junior volunteers provide service to patients and families at Duke University Hospital, 2310 Erwin Rd., Durham, NC 27710.
Junior volunteer roles include:
- providing directions to patients and families
- serving in the gift shops
- helping ease wait times for families in waiting areas by providing a friendly, warm and welcoming presence
- The 2019 Junior Volunteer Summer Session is from June 14, 2019 to August 9, 2019.
- Each junior volunteer must commit for a minimum of 7 of the 8 weeks during the summer.
- Students are required to commit at least 8 hours per week and no more than 32 hours per week.
- The volunteer shift hours vary by volunteer program.
- Junior volunteers are expected to behave in a professional and mature manner at all times.
- Junior volunteers may not leave the hospital campus for any reason during their volunteer shift without parental permission.
- A MANDATORY Junior Volunteer Training/Orientation will be held on Friday, June 14, 2019 for both New and Returning Junior Volunteers.
- Location: Duke North Hospital (Main hospital on Erwin Road), Conference Room 2003.
- Schedule for orientation is as follows:
- 8:30 Refreshments, sign-in and optional parent meeting
- 9:00 Orientation/Training for New and Returning Volunteers
- 11:00 Department Tour/Orientation
- 12:00 Pizza Luncheon
- 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm Optional CPR Compression Only Training
- Note: Please do not sign up for an interview slot if you cannot attend the full orientation on June 14. This session is required annually in keeping with Duke Hospital policy. No alternative orientations will be offered for this mandatory training.
- In keeping with our professional staff image, junior volunteers are required to wear a Duke polo shirt which will be provided at orientation.
- Volunteers must also wear a Duke ID badge at all times.
- Shorts, mini-skirts, and denim jeans are not allowed. A more detailed dress code with be reviewed at orientation.
If you have any questions, please contact the Volunteer Services office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-681-6088.