Junior Volunteer Summer Program
Duke University Hospital
The Junior Volunteer program allows high school students (ages 15-17) to volunteer at Duke University Hospital.
Please note: The application process for the 2020 summer Junior Volunteer Program will begin in January 2020. Please return to this page in January 2020 for more details about next summer’s program.
Would you like a rewarding summer experience as a volunteer in a fast-paced medical center or clinic setting? If you are 15 to 17 years of age and are interested in serving and helping others within a hospital, the Junior Volunteer Program is a wonderful program to consider.
Maturity, compassion, and commitment to serve others are some of the characteristics we seek in our high school volunteer program. As junior volunteers assist and engage with our patients and visitors, they learn valuable lessons that they will use throughout their adult lives. This program is only offered during the summer months.
Junior volunteers provide service to patients and families at Duke University Hospital, 2310 Erwin Rd., Durham, NC 27710.
Junior volunteer roles include:
- providing directions to patients and families
- serving in the gift shops
- helping ease wait times for families in waiting areas by providing a friendly, warm and welcoming presence
- The 2020 Junior Volunteer Summer Session is from mid-June to early August 2020.
- Each junior volunteer must commit for a minimum of 7 of the 8 weeks during the summer.
- Students are required to commit at least 12 hours per week and no more than 32 hours per week.
- The volunteer shift hours vary by volunteer program.
- Junior volunteers are expected to behave in a professional and mature manner at all times.
- Junior volunteers may not leave the hospital campus for any reason during their volunteer shift without parental permission.