Volunteer application process
Call for an appointment
Duke Health volunteers are a vital part of the health care we provide to the more than half a million patients who visit us each year. Our volunteers provide exceptional care and understanding by taking the time to give patients and their families the extra help and the listening ear they need.
Once you have determined what volunteer opportunities you are interested in participating in, you will need to meet the following requirements.
Become a volunteer
The health and safety of our patients and volunteers is a priority to us. All of our volunteer candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Have celebrated your 18th birthday (junior volunteers must be at least 15 years old)
- Willing to commit for one year (2-4 hours per week, depending on program)
- Completed a personal interview with the volunteer coordinator of the program of interest
- Completed and submitted volunteer application forms to include:
- Application form
- Three reference forms
- Health screen to include an updated TB screen, review of immunization and seasonal flu shot
- Cleared criminal background check
- Hospital orientation and requisite documentation to include, but not limited to:
- Confidentiality and training
- Fire and safety
- Mission and values
- Departmental orientation with volunteer supervisor
- Annual training and updates
Download the Volunteer application form and send it to your volunteer coordinator/supervisor at your volunteer interview.