Duke University Hospital: Emergency Room
Our team of registered nurses, board-certified emergency medicine doctors, emergency medicine nurse practitioners, physician assistants and technicians are trained to provide all aspects of emergency care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Open 24 hours, 7 days a week.
As a Level 1 trauma center, our medical teams care for children and adults with complex traumatic injuries including falls, motor vehicle accidents and gunshot wounds. As a regional referral center, sick and injured people with extensive medical needs are transported here through Duke LifeFlight and other emergency transport services, from an accident scene, or after assessment at their community hospital.
Wait times are a concern in any emergency department. How quickly one is seen is dependent on many factors. During peak emergency times, an emergency department provider is stationed at the emergency room registration area to perform a medical screening exam and initiate care upon patients’ arrival.
Read more: 9 facts about emergency care
Additional Emergency Department Areas
- Our child-friendly pediatric area is staffed by an expert team of pediatric emergency medicine specialists and nurses.
- The clinical evaluation/observation unit is for people who need medical observation but do not require inpatient admission.
- The fast track /SPEED area treats people with minor illnesses or injuries.
- The psychiatric area is for people with mental illness-related emergencies.
Heart and Stroke Care
- As a Comprehensive Stroke Center, we are trained in the latest procedures and technology, and offer the highest level of specialized stroke care from the second you arrive in the emergency room.
- Our efforts to improve cardiac care include an emergency response protocol for heart attack that ensures patients receive life-saving treatment as quickly as possible.
If you need medical attention that is not life-threatening, please visit one of our conveniently located urgent care clinics or you can reserve your spot online.
Read more: Should you go to urgent care?
For questions about the following, please visit:
- Emergency care
Please check your filter options and try again.
The Duke University Hospital emergency department provides immediate care to more than 80,000 sick or injured people each year. We treat people of all ages, from the tiniest newborns to the elderly, who come to the emergency room for serious medical concerns that need immediate medical attention.
Preparing For Your Visit
We provide equal access for all people and offer a range of free accessibility services to patients and visitors who need them.
Free interpreter services can be provided for patients who prefer to communicate in a language other than English.
2301 Erwin Rd
Durham, NC 27710-4699
Plan your trip to Duke University Hospital: Emergency Room through GoDurham bus routes 6, 11, 11B, and 20 or GoTriangle bus routes 400 and 405. The closest bus stops are Duke Hospital, Erwin Rd at Research Dr, and Erwin Rd at Emergency Dr. If you have trouble accessing these bus routes, visit GoDurham Access and GoTriangle Access to check if you meet the ADA eligibility for accessible transit programs.
Duke Transit provides free bus service to the Duke University Medical Center campus for students, employees, patients, and visitors. See maps of bus routes.