Duke Regional Hospital: Emergency Room
Our team of registered nurses, board-certified emergency medicine doctors, emergency medicine nurse practitioners, physician assistants and technicians are trained to provide all aspects of emergency care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We provide care for injuries including falls, motor vehicle accidents and gunshot wounds. Patients who need complex specialty care may be assessed and stabilized by the emergency department medical staff, then transported to Duke University Hospital when needed through Duke LifeFlight and other emergency transport services. We also accept transfers from other facilities for care related to stroke and cardiac arrest.
Emergency Room Wait Times
Wait times are a concern in any emergency department. How quickly one is seen is dependent on many factors. During peak emergency times, an emergency department provider is stationed at the emergency room registration area to perform a medical screening exam and initiate care upon patients’ arrival.
Read more: 9 facts about emergency care
Additional Emergency Department Areas
- The clinical evaluation/observation unit is for people who need medical observation but do not require inpatient admission.
- The fast track/SPEED area treats people with minor illnesses or injuries.
Heart and Stroke Care
- As a Primary Stroke Center, we are trained in the latest procedures and technology, and offer specialized stroke care from the second you arrive in the emergency room.
- Our efforts to improve cardiac care include an emergency response protocol for heart attack that ensures patients receive life-saving treatment as quickly as possible.
Behavioral Health Care
We offer 16 private rooms for adult and pediatric patients experiencing a behavioral health emergency. Our emergency behavioral health area includes large windows, activity spaces, and rooms with a bed and TV.
If you need medical attention that is not life-threatening, please visit one of our conveniently located urgent care clinics or you can reserve your spot online.
Read more: Should you go to urgent care?
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks. Please call your insurance company to confirm your access to health care services at Duke Health locations and what (if any) co-payments, co-insurances and deductibles will be your responsibility. Duke Regional Hospital provides medical screening exams and stabilizing treatment for patients with emergency medical conditions regardless of ability to pay.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Value Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Medicare Value Plus Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Eagle Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Connect Individual Family Plan
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Choice - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice - Medicare Advantage (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus - Medicare Advantage (HMO)
- Humana Medicare Advantage Group Plan - NC State Retirees
- First Medicare Direct
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina
- Carolina Complete Health
- Healthy Blue
- NC Medicaid Direct
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
- WellCare of North Carolina
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice and mental health providers do not participate with the plan.
Our staff provides immediate care to more than 64,000 sick or injured people from Durham, Wake, Orange, Granville and Person counties, and surrounding areas each year.
People of all ages come to our community hospital’s emergency room for serious medical concerns that need immediate medical attention.
Preparing For Your Visit
We provide equal access for all people and offer a range of free accessibility services to patients and visitors who need them.
Free interpreter services can be provided for patients who prefer to communicate in a language other than English.
3643 N Roxboro St
Durham, NC 27704-2702
The Duke Regional Hospital emergency department is located off Crutchfield Street. You can download a map of the Duke Regional Hospital campus (PDF, 1.8 MB). Free, dedicated parking is available outside the emergency department entrance.
Plan your trip to Duke Regional Hospital: Emergency Room through GoDurham bus routes 4, 9, and 9A. The closest bus stops are Duke Regional Hospital at Roxboro Street, Duke Regional Hospital at Olympic Avenue, and along Duke Regional Hospital's Loop Road. If you have trouble accessing these routes, visit GoDurham Access to check if you meet the ADA eligibility for Durham County’s accessible transit program.