Personalized Cost Estimates
It's important to note that we can't tell you in advance exactly how much you'll pay for your care. That's because:
- Your care will be based on your specific needs, which aren't like anyone else's and may change during the course of treatment.
- Some of the costs may be paid by another party, such as your insurance company.
Pre-visit estimates give you the best idea of what you’ll be asked to pay for services. Duke Health provides two types of pre-visit estimates: unscheduled service estimates and scheduled service estimates.
Unscheduled Service Estimates
If you haven't yet scheduled a service but want to know the cost, our financial counselors can provide you with information to help you make your care decisions.
Unscheduled service estimates can include:
- Average charge information for the service or procedure you are considering
- A personalized estimate based on your specific circumstances, including which insurance (if any) you have
To request a pre-visit estimate for unscheduled services, please call 919-620-3264, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Important: Before calling to request a pre-service estimate, ask your provider for the CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) codes of the service(s) you need. These are codes used for medical billing. The more information you have about the service you need, the better we can estimate your costs.
Please note that pre-service estimates are based on average charges from similar patients. Your bill will be based on services you actually receive and may differ significantly from the average.
Scheduled Service Estimates
For procedures you already have scheduled at one of the following locations, one of our financial counselors may call you before your appointment to give you an estimate of your out-of-pocket cost after insurance. If you have secondary insurance coverage or have met your out-of-pocket maximum, you will not be contacted.
- Duke Radiology
- Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Duke University Hospital operating room
- Duke University Hospital admissions
- Duke Raleigh Hospital admissions
- Duke Raleigh Hospital radiology
- Duke Raleigh Hospital outpatient surgery
- Duke Regional Hospital admissions
- Duke Regional outpatient surgery
For these services, the financial counselor will:
- Estimate of the amount you'll be responsible to pay after your primary insurance has paid its part
- Help you understand your payment options
- Accept your payment in advance or arrange for you to pay at the time of service if preferred