Duke Perioperative Pain Clinic - Clinic 1J
If you have an upcoming surgery, our pain medicine specialists work with you to develop a personalized pain management plan. Our experts identify your pain management needs before and after your surgery, and reduce your risk of developing persistent post-surgical pain.
|8:00 am - 4:30 pm
|8:00 am - 4:30 pm
|8:00 am - 4:30 pm
|8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Personalized pain management plans
Our doctors coordinate your pain control before, during, and up to 90 days following your stay at Duke University Hospital. This allows us to create a personalized care plan that is broadly communicated to your doctors before and during your hospital stay, as well as after you go home.
Your personalized care plan identifies your pain management needs prior to and following your surgery, and reduces your risk of developing persistent post-surgical pain. Special testing may be used to determine the right medication, dose and timing for your individual needs.
Controlling your pain before and after surgery
Our comprehensive approach to your care is designed to help you fully recover your function so you can smoothly transition back into the community and minimize your risk of experiencing lasting pain after surgery. Your pain management plan may consist of:
- Pain management procedures and medication management
- Complementary and wellness strategies
- Physical activity assessment and exercises
- Behavioral coping techniques to align pain management and surgical goals
Coordinating and communicating with your care team
Duke’s electronic medical records system ensures your care is coordinated when you see Duke Health specialists at any Duke Health location. In addition, as a Duke patient you have access to My Duke Health (previously Duke MyChart), an online patient portal that makes it easier than ever to manage your health care. My Duke Health allows you to see your test results, request prescription refills, schedule appointments, communicate with your provider, and more – all online.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Assure Plan (HMO D-SNP)
- Aetna Medicare Eagle Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Value Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Aetna/CVS Health
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Connect Individual Family Plan
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Choice - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice - Medicare Advantage (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus - Medicare Advantage (HMO)
- Humana Medicare Advantage Group Plan - NC State Retirees
- First Medicare Direct
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina
- Carolina Complete Health
- Healthy Blue
- NC Medicaid Direct
- WellCare of North Carolina
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Advantage Plan 2 (HMO-POS)
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Healthcare Shared Services - Harvard Pilgrim/UHC Options PPO Network
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice and mental health providers do not participate with the plan.
We are located within Duke Clinic on the 2nd floor.
Preparing For Your Visit
Download a PDF guide that includes information on what to expect during your visit.
Give yourself plenty of time to get to your appointment. Your doctor may ask you to arrive early so that you can have lab tests completed before your examination. Even if this is not the case, we suggest that you should allow about 45 minutes to get to your appointment in addition to your travel time to Durham. This will allow you sufficient time to park, locate the building, get to the particular clinic you're visiting, and register. Duke Clinic is approximately a quarter of a mile from the nearest parking deck. Please note that appointments may be subject to being rescheduled upon late arrivals.
Informal clothing and comfortable shoes are appropriate attire for your visit.
Free Wi-Fi Available
40 Duke Medicine Cir
Durham, NC 27710-4000
Duke Medicine Circle Parking Garage:
- Located at 302 Trent Drive and features a climate-controlled, enclosed walkway to Duke Clinic. A free shuttle is located just outside the garage to escort you to the Duke Medicine Pavilion entrance. This parking garage is most convenient for patients and visitors going to the Duke Medicine Pavilion, Duke Cancer Center, and Duke Clinic.
- Cost: $2 per hour or a maximum $8 per day.
Additional Parking Information:
- Parking for oversized vehicles is located adjacent to the Duke University Hospital parking deck. To obtain a pass for an oversized vehicle, call 919-684-7275.
- Valet parking is also available at the entrance to Duke Clinic, Monday - Friday from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm for $12 per visit.
- One-use parking passes ($5 each) and five-use parking passes ($25 each) are available for patients visiting Duke for an appointment, patients in the hospital, and visitors of patients admitted to Duke University Hospital.
- To purchase discounted parking passes, visit an information desk at Duke Central Tower, Duke Medicine Pavilion, the Duke University Hospital entrance, Duke Cancer Center, or Duke Clinic (1st floor main lobby) to obtain a Discounted Parking Authorization Form. You can then go to the parking garage or parking office to purchase the passes. Parking passes expire after one year.
- Please visit one of these information desks if you have questions.
- Contact Duke Parking Services at 919-684-7275.
Duke faculty, staff and students, affiliates, and contractors are not eligible to purchase or use discounted validations.
Plan your trip to Duke Perioperative Pain Clinic - Clinic 1J through GoDurham bus routes 6, 11, 11B, and 20 or GoTriangle bus routes 400, 405, and DRX (Durham-Raleigh Express). The closest bus stops are Trent Dr at Duke Hospital South, Duke Hospital, Erwin Rd at Research Dr, and Erwin Rd at Emergency Dr. If you have trouble accessing these routes, visit GoDurham Access and GoTriangle Access to check if you meet the ADA eligibility for accessible transit programs.
Duke Transit provides free bus service to the Duke University Medical Center campus for students, employees, patients, and visitors. See maps of bus routes.