Duke Perioperative Pain Care
If you have an upcoming surgery, our pain medicine specialists work with you to develop a personalized pain management plan. Our experts identify your pain management needs before and after your surgery, and reduce your risk of developing persistent post-surgical pain.
|Closed||8:00 am - 4:30 pm||8:00 am - 4:30 pm||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Personalized pain management plans
Our doctors coordinate your pain control before, during, and up to 90 days following your stay at Duke University Hospital. This allows us to create a personalized care plan that is broadly communicated to your doctors before and during your hospital stay, as well as after you go home.
Your personalized care plan identifies your pain management needs prior to and following your surgery, and reduces your risk of developing persistent post-surgical pain. Special testing may be used to determine the right medication, dose and timing for your individual needs.
Controlling your pain before and after surgery
Our comprehensive approach to your care is designed to help you fully recover your function so you can smoothly transition back into the community and minimize your risk of experiencing lasting pain after surgery. Your pain management plan may consist of:
- Pain management procedures and medication management
- Complementary and wellness strategies
- Physical activity assessment and exercises
- Behavioral coping techniques to align pain management and surgical goals
Coordinating and communicating with your care team
Duke’s electronic medical records system ensures your care is coordinated when you see Duke Health specialists at any Duke Health location. In addition, as a Duke patient you have access to Duke MyChart, an online patient portal that makes it easier than ever to manage your health care. Duke MyChart allows you to see your test results, request prescription refills, schedule appointments, communicate with your provider, and more – all online.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Extra*
- TRICARE for Life*
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Standard*
*Duke Primary Care does not participate with the plan.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
Please check your filter options and try again.
We are located within Duke Clinic on the 2nd floor.
Preparing For Your Visit
Download a PDF guide that includes information on what to expect during your visit.
Give yourself plenty of time to get to your appointment. Your doctor may ask you to arrive early so that you can have lab tests completed before your examination. Even if this is not the case, we suggest that you should allow about 45 minutes to get to your appointment in addition to your travel time to Durham. This will allow you sufficient time to park, locate the building, get to the particular clinic you're visiting, and register. Duke Clinic is approximately a quarter of a mile from the nearest parking deck. Please note that appointments may be subject to being rescheduled upon late arrivals.
Informal clothing and comfortable shoes are appropriate attire for your visit.
Duke University Hospital is served by two parking garages -- Duke Hospital Parking Garage and Duke Medicine Circle Parking Garage. Payment is accepted at automated pay stations. Find out more about parking options at Duke University Hospital.