Duke Birthing Center
We know that having a baby is one of the most important milestones in your family’s life. As OB experts who deliver more than 3,400 babies every year, we do everything possible to ensure your delivery takes place in a safe, comfortable environment and is tailored to your and your baby’s needs.
Duke University Hospital is ranked among the best hospitals in the U.S. for starting or expanding your family. The ranking, which used data from the national, nonprofit Leapfrog Group, recognizes our hospital’s high quality and low rates of C-section, episiotomy and early elective deliveries, as well as efforts we have in place to protect the health of mothers and babies.
Take a Video Tour of the Duke Birthing Center
Open 24 hours a day.
Visiting hours for the general public are from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.
Open 24 hours a day.
Visiting hours for the general public are from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, in-person classes and tours are canceled until further notice. See visit our Preparing for Baby page for information about online classes.
Labor and Delivery in Durham, NC
As part of your prenatal care, we also offer the following classes to help you get ready for childbirth and learn what to expect afterward. Our classes help you prepare for labor and delivery and C-sections and gain a better understanding about epidurals. We also prepare you for life as a new mom, with classes that focus on breastfeeding, baby care, infant/child CPR, tips for getting back in shape, and more.
Our unit includes:
- 20 labor rooms with whirlpool baths, TV/DVDs, and couches or chairs
- 28 mother/baby postpartum rooms with private showers, recliners or couches, and TV/DVDs.
Our OB Team
Our team consists of obstetricians, obstetric anesthesiologists, perinatologists, pediatricians, neonatologists, obstetric and pediatric nurses, nurse midwives, and nurse practitioners. We are available day and night to handle every situation, from low-risk deliveries and cesarean sections to high-risk pregnancies and emergency situations.
As a regional referral center, Duke University Hospital offers a level of specialized experience not found at community hospitals. Our perinatologists, obstetric anesthesiologists, and nurses provide comprehensive care to women with high-risk pregnancies, including care for women who are carrying multiples, those who have a history of pregnancy complications, or those who have a pre-existing medical or surgical condition.
Gentle and Complex Cesarean Sections
We maintain three dedicated operating rooms for routine and complex C-sections.
- We offer gentle Cesarean sections by providing clear drapes for the moment of birth and initiating skin-to-skin and breastfeeding in the operating room. Your healthy baby stays with you in the operating room and through your recovery.
- We are also a referral center for women who require delivery for medical or surgical reasons that may pose a risk to you or your baby during delivery. Our team is equipped to handle any childbirth situation.
Care for Your Baby After Delivery
We give you the support you need to start bonding with your baby right away and keep your baby with you at all times.
A team of in-house, board-certified pediatricians provides care for healthy babies. Our in-house pediatricians will check your baby's heart rate, breathing, muscle tone, reflex response, and color after your baby arrives. Before your baby goes home, we will make sure you get help with feeding your baby and answer any infant care questions you might have. Our experienced pediatricians work closely with obstetricians and neonatal specialists if your baby needs more specialized care.
If your baby needs complex medical care, our Level IV NICU is staffed by in-house neonatologists and nurses who care for low-birth-weight infants, preemies, and infants with serious conditions. This ensures you experience the highest quality care and the best possible outcome.
Strict Infant Security System
We enforce strict infant security measures to protect your baby from unlikely harmful events, including abduction.
Our board-certified lactation consultants are available to see you within one day of your newborn's birth to help you begin breastfeeding. Nursing staff is available 24/7 to educate and assist you with your breastfeeding goals.
Our trained nurses offer feeding, bathing, and bonding support to aid in the transition of mom and baby in the immediate postpartum period. Our clinical social workers specialize in postpartum depression and can help you and your family locate community resources and adapt to the many changes that accompany the arrival of your newborn.
Please check your filter options and try again.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Value Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Medicare Value Plus Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Eagle Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Connect Individual Family Plan
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Choice - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice - Medicare Advantage (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus - Medicare Advantage (HMO)
- Humana Medicare Advantage Group Plan - NC State Retirees
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina
- Carolina Complete Health
- Healthy Blue
- NC Medicaid Direct
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
- WellCare of North Carolina
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice, freestanding radiology locations, and mental health providers do not participate with the plan.
Preparing For Your Visit
We provide equal access for all people and offer a range of free accessibility services to patients and visitors who need them.
Free interpreter services can be provided for patients who prefer to communicate in a language other than English.
2301 Erwin Rd
Durham, NC 27710-4699
Plan your trip to Duke Birthing Center through GoDurham bus routes 6, 11, 11B, and 20 or GoTriangle bus routes 400 and 405. The closest bus stops are Duke Hospital, Erwin Rd at Research Dr, and Erwin Rd at Emergency Dr. If you have trouble accessing these bus routes, visit GoDurham Access and GoTriangle Access to check if you meet the ADA eligibility for accessible transit programs.
Duke Transit provides free bus service to the Duke University Medical Center campus for students, employees, patients, and visitors. See maps of bus routes.