You can find your insurance provider’s phone number on the back of your insurance card.
Give your provider the ICD9 code 278.01 (morbid obesity, BMI over 40) or code 278.00 (obesity, BMI unspecified).
If morbid obesity or obesity is a covered benefit, check that the procedure you are considering is also covered by giving your insurance provider the following codes:
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: CPT 43644
- Adjustable gastric banding: CPT 43770
- Sleeve gastrectomy: CPT 43775
- Duodenal switch: CPT 43645
Ask if Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Regional Anesthesia, Duke Department of Psychiatry, and the physicians of the Private Diagnostic Clinic at Duke University Hospital are accepted by your insurance.
You should also ask:
- What percent of the total bill will I be responsible for?
- Will I need to pay a deductible?
- Are there specific criteria I need to meet to be considered for weight loss surgery?