Duke Pediatric Cardiac Neurodevelopmental Clinic
Duke Pediatric Cardiac Neurodevelopmental Clinic at Duke Children's Health Center is a specialized group of pediatricians, therapists, neuropsychologists, dietitians, social workers, and nurses dedicated to monitoring high risk infants with complex congenital heart disease.
First and third Thursday of each month from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm.
First and third Thursday of each month from 8:30 am - 12:30 pm.
The first appointment will typically be scheduled within one month after hospital discharge. Depending on the child’s needs, he/she could be reevaluated every few weeks or every few months. For premature babies or babies with feeding issues, it is common for visits to be more frequent in the beginning and become less frequent over time.
Visits may include all or some of these services:
- Medical check up by a physician
- Evaluation by a Physical, Speech/Language, or Occupational Therapist
- Developmental assessment by a neuropsychologist
- Dietician assessment
- Social work support
The first appointment will typically be scheduled within one month after hospital discharge.
- Laboratory blood work
- X-rays and other imaging
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Extra*
- TRICARE for Life*
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Standard*
*Duke Primary Care does not participate with the plan.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
Please check your filter options and try again.
Following medical and surgical treatments, neonates with congenital heart disease are at risk for developing developmental delays. In our clinic, we will monitor development, feeding issues, and growth after the infant has been discharged from the hospital. Our mission is to support children and their families so they can reach the best outcomes possible.
Candidates for the clinic include children with complex congenital heart disease and any of the following:
- Surgery or cardiac catheterization within the first 6 months of life
- Developmental or genetic syndromes
- History of seizures or strokes
- Prematurity (born <37 weeks gestation)
- Developmental or language delays
- Feeding problems
Preparing For Your Visit
Duke Hospital Garage:
- Duke Hospital parking garage is located across Erwin Road from the hospital. Vehicles enter one block north, at 2223 Elba Street. The garage is walking distance from the hospital entrance.
- Visitors may take a secure, well-lighted and climate-controlled walkway under Erwin Road. To reach the walkway, take a parking garage elevator down to Level RT (for "tunnel") and follow the signs to Duke Children’s Hospital & Health Center. This parking garage is most convenient for patients and visitors who intend to use the Erwin Road hospital entrance, or visit Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center.
- Cost: $2 per hour or a maximum $8 day.
Duke Medicine Circle Parking Garage:
- Located at 302 Trent Drive and features climate-controlled, enclosed walkway to Duke Clinic. A free shuttle is located just outside the garage to escort you to the Duke Medicine Pavilion entrance. This parking garage is most convenient for patients and visitors going to the Duke Medicine Pavilion, Duke Cancer Center, and Duke Clinic.
- Cost: $2 per hour or a maximum $8 per day.
Additional Parking Information:
- Parking for oversized vehicles is located adjacent to the Duke University Hospital parking deck. To obtain a pass for an oversized vehicle, call 919-684-7275.
- Discount parking tickets are available for $4.00 and are good for free parking on one calendar day. They can be purchased at all medical center gift shops or Duke Parking, which is located on the ground floor of Duke clinics on Trent Drive. The tickets are good at either garage. Contact Duke Parking Services at 919-684-7275.
- Valet parking is also available at the entrance to Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center, Monday - Friday from 5:00 am - 10:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm for $9 per day.
- Duke Parking Services can be contacted at: 919-684-7275.
- Learn more