Duke Breast Risk Assessment Clinic
If you are at an increased risk for breast cancer or want to discuss your breast cancer risk, schedule an appointment with our breast experts today. After a comprehensive evaluation and personalized risk assessment, our team will create an individualized care plan that includes ongoing breast cancer screening, exams, and if necessary, referrals to other specialists.
|Closed||Closed||Closed||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|Closed||Closed||Closed||8:00 am - 5:00 pm||Closed||Closed||Closed|
Duke breast experts perform breast cancer risk assessments for women who may be at an increased risk for breast cancer due to a genetic mutation, family history of breast cancer, or individual risk factors. Risk assessments can identify women who may benefit from additional breast cancer screening and potentially diagnose breast cancer earlier. Proper risk assessment can also identify women who may benefit from certain prevention strategies, such as prophylactic surgery or risk-reducing medications.
Our goal is to create a personalized breast care plan that includes ongoing breast cancer screening, exams, and referrals to other specialists, as needed. This is important as each individual has different needs. A woman with a family history or genetic risk factors for breast cancer should be evaluated and managed differently than a woman whose breast cancer risk is influenced by environmental or lifestyle risk factors, such as taking hormone replacement therapy or a sedentary lifestyle.
What Happens During a Breast Risk Assessment?
During your first visit to the Breast Risk Assessment Clinic, you may meet with our nurse practitioner and/or breast doctor. You will undergo a comprehensive evaluation and personalized risk assessment.
After thoroughly discussing your breast cancer risk management options, they will recommend the most appropriate breast imaging and any referrals that are indicated for your individual concerns. Breast imaging options may include:
- Screening and diagnostic mammography, including 3D mammography (also known as tomosynthesis)
- Breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI
If You Are At Risk for Breast Cancer
If your assessment finds that you are at average risk, you may be given a schedule for routine screening under the care of your primary care doctor.
If an abnormality is identified, you may be referred to a breast specialist at our breast cancer clinic for additional testing and management.
If you have a genetic predisposition to breast cancer, or one is suspected, you may also benefit from the close relationship our breast specialists have with the genetic counselors in Duke’s Hereditary Cancer Clinic. We can help arrange for you to undergo genetic counseling and testing, if appropriate.
As a returning patient, you may participate in an interactive small group session prior to your scheduled appointment. The group sessions, attended by 4-6 patients, will be facilitated by a breast care provider who will lead group discussions around topics such as breast cancer risk, nutrition, genetics, anxiety related to being high risk, and more. Other Duke providers may also participate in these sessions to provide focused education on featured topics.
Please check your filter options and try again.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Value Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Medicare Value Plus Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Eagle Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Connect Individual Family Plan
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Choice - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice - Medicare Advantage (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus - Medicare Advantage (HMO)
- Humana Medicare Advantage Group Plan - NC State Retirees
- First Medicare Direct
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina
- Carolina Complete Health
- Healthy Blue
- NC Medicaid Direct
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
- WellCare of North Carolina
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice and mental health providers do not participate with the plan.
We are located within the state-of-the-art Duke Cancer Center on the second floor, in the same clinic as the breast imaging center.
Preparing For Your Visit
Before your first visit, please fill out the new patient form (below), collect your family’s cancer history (all types of cancer) including the type of cancer and age of diagnosis whenever possible, bring copies of any recent breast imaging reports, and bring copies of any biopsy or surgery reports (i.e. pathology reports) whenever possible.
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment, please call us 24 hours prior to your appointment time.
- Duke Multidisciplinary Breast Program Patient Questionnaire (PDF, 1.64 MB)
We provide equal access for all people and offer a range of free accessibility services to patients and visitors who need them.
Free interpreter services can be provided for patients who prefer to communicate in a language other than English.
20 Duke Medicine Cir
Duke Breast Clinic 2-2
Durham, NC 27710-2000
Plan your trip to Duke Breast Risk Assessment Clinic through GoDurham bus routes 6, 11, 11B, and 20 or GoTriangle bus routes 400, 405, and DRX (Durham-Raleigh Express). The closest bus stops are Trent Dr at Duke Hospital South, Duke Hospital, Erwin Rd at Research Dr, and Erwin Rd at Emergency Dr. If you have trouble accessing these routes, visit GoDurham Access and GoTriangle Access to check if you meet the ADA eligibility for accessible transit programs.
Duke Transit provides free bus service to the Duke University Medical Center campus for students, employees, patients, and visitors. See maps of bus routes.