Duke Adult Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center
Hematologists at Duke Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center skillfully evaluates, diagnoses and helps patients manage the different variants of sickle cell disease.
|8:00 am - 4:00 pm||8:00 am - 4:00 pm||8:00 am - 4:00 pm||8:00 am - 4:00 pm||8:00 am - 4:00 pm||Closed||Closed|
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Duke’s comprehensive sickle cell center is committed to providing the best diagnostic tools, treatment options and care for sickle cell disease.
In addition to our extensive array of services and resources, we research new ways of treating the disease and its complications to provide the best care to our patients.
Treatment for sickle cell disease is on-going and aimed at limiting your pain and the number of crises you experience.
Treatment options may include:
- Fluid therapy
- Blood transfusions
- Bone marrow transplants
- Emerging treatments discovered through our clinical trials
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Local with Duke Health and WakeMed
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
- *Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
- Coventry Advantra Freedom (PPO)
- Coventry Advantra Gold (HMO)
- Dual Option of AWH or PPO
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- *This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
- * Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Extra*
- TRICARE for Life*
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Standard*
- *Duke Primary Care does not participate with the plan.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
- * Not all Duke hospitals and doctors participate in these plans. Please contact your insurance provider to determine what your financial responsibility will be for the health care service you require.
Preparing For Your Visit
Download a PDF guide that includes information on what to expect during your visit.
Give yourself plenty of time to get to your appointment. Your doctor may ask you to arrive early so that you can have lab tests completed before your examination. Even if this is not the case, we suggest that you should allow about 45 minutes to get to your appointment in addition to your travel time to Durham. This will allow you sufficient time to park, locate the building, get to the particular clinic you're visiting, and register. Duke Clinic is approximately a quarter of a mile from the nearest parking deck. Please note that appointments may be subject to being rescheduled upon late arrivals.
Informal clothing and comfortable shoes are appropriate attire for your visit.