Comprehensive Voice Evaluation
Duke Voice Care is one of the few voice programs in the Southeast with a comprehensive team of voice experts working together to provide the highest quality voice care. Our team includes laryngologists -- ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physicians who have advanced training in voice disorders -- as well as specially trained speech-language pathologists who are skilled in voice care. To complete a comprehensive evaluation of your voice, you will meet with the laryngologist and the speech pathologist. Our team will assess:
- How and when your voice problem started
- Medical causes for your voice problem, such as illness, allergies, acid reflux, or surgery
- Your voice use patterns: how much you speak, sing, or use a loud voice
- What your voice sounds like: hoarse, raspy, weak, strained, breathy, shaky, etc.
- Any changes to your breathing or swallowing
We'll also do a thorough examination of your head and neck and a visual examination of your voice box.