Treatments for Voice Disorders and Improve Your Vocal Hygiene
Duke Voice Care Center specialists are specially trained ear nose and throat physicians, speech pathologists and singing specialists who work together to diagnose and treat voice disorders including laryngitis, vocal nodules, vocal polyps, and vocal cord paralysis. We treat adults and children who use their voice professionally and for everyday activities. Our advanced training, skill, and experience ensure you receive you the best possible treatment for your voice disorder. We improve your vocal hygiene, develop individualized voice exercise regimens, and quickly return you to your daily and professional activities.
We Specialize in Treating Adults and Children with Voice Disorders
A voice disorder can be anything that changes the way you sing or speak. Left untreated, voice disorders can impact your quality of life, change the way others see you, as well as how you feel about yourself. If you experience hoarseness, voice strain, raspy voice, pitch changes, or it takes more effort to speak or sing, our experts can help. We specialize in treating adults and children with voice disorders that include laryngitis, chronic hoarseness, vocal cord nodules, vocal cord lesions, vocal cord polyps, and vocal cord cysts.
We use the latest techniques and therapies to effectively treat muscle tension dysphonia, aging voice, and less common voice problems such as spasmodic dysphonia and throat cancer and voice box cancer. We offer surgical options to improve vocal quality if you have vocal cord paralysis. We have years of experience removing growths on the vocal cords using microsurgery, a technique proven to provide your best voice outcome. We pinpoint the cause of your voice disorder, treat it quickly and effectively, and improve your overall vocal health.
Comprehensive Team of Voice Disorder Specialists
- Voice disorder specialists. We are one of the few voice centers in the Southeast, with a comprehensive team of voice experts. Your team includes ear, nose, and throat (ENT) physicians who are laryngologists, a specialty that requires advanced training in voice disorders.
- Highly specialized speech pathologists. Our speech pathologists undergo specialized training to evaluate and treat patients with voice problems, swallowing disorders, and complex conditions such as voice restoration after throat cancer. Our team also includes trained singing voice specialists. They are experienced performers, singers, and singing teachers who understand the challenges of being a vocal professional. They bring empathy, clinical expertise, and an insider perspective to evaluating and improving your vocal health. They also provide specialized therapy to performers and singers.
- Less invasive, less costly techniques. We use less invasive, less costly techniques, such as office-based laser surgery to treat a variety of vocal disorders. We offer a variety of surgical options for vocal cord paralysis. We also provide Botox injections for spasmodic dysphonia.
- Coordinated care. Voice disorders may result from a variety of medical conditions, including allergies and asthma. We coordinate your care with the right specialists throughout our health system to ensure you receive the best therapies to minimize your symptoms, improve your voice, and optimize your recovery.
- Treatment for all laryngeal conditions. Your voice box, or larynx, is responsible for your voice, your ability to swallow, and your airway or breathing passage. Our doctors and speech pathologists treat voice, upper airway breathing problems such as vocal cord dysfunction (VCD), and swallowing.
- Professional vocal performer services. We provide the highest level of expert care for all vocal performers, from elite professionals who need immediate voice care services to those who sing for enjoyment.
- Better voice treatment decisions. Our ongoing research ensures you receive the best care for your vocal disorder.