Duke Lupus Clinic - Clinic 1J
Our lupus specialists diagnose, treat, and provide expert care to people living with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), more commonly known as lupus. We do comprehensive evaluations of people who suspect they have lupus, offer second opinions, and recommend treatment options. We also educate people and their families about this chronic condition. Our extensive involvement in research means you can participate in research opportunities to help us learn more about the disease, as well as clinical trials that test new lupus therapies.
|Closed||Closed||8:00 am - 1:00 pm||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
|Closed||Closed||8:00 am - 1:00 pm||Closed||Closed||Closed||Closed|
Learn how we diagnose and treat lupus, and how we help you live with the autoimmune disease.
Lupus Clinic Specialists
Our specialized lupus clinic is staffed by board-certified rheumatologists. We work as a team to care for people with lupus and lupus-related autoimmune conditions such as:
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Cutaneous lupus erythematosus
- Drug-induced lupus erythematosus
- Undifferentiated connective tissue disease
- Mixed connective tissue disease
We use a team approach to patient care, which means you may see any member of our team on the day of your appointment.
This approach ensures you get to know all our lupus specialists. If you need to be seen for an urgent, lupus-related condition such as a flare or if you are hospitalized, our specialists will already be familiar with your condition.
Onsite Pharmacy and Additional Support
Our onsite pharmacist and pharmacy technicians can provide medication counseling, help coordinate prior authorizations, help you apply for pharmacy assistance programs, and refill medications.
Our social worker can provide additional support for navigating the insurance process.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Assure Plan (HMO D-SNP)
- Aetna Medicare Eagle Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Value Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Aetna/CVS Health
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Connect Individual Family Plan
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization plans*
*This plan is only accepted at Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, and Duke HomeCare & Hospice.
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Choice - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice - Medicare Advantage (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus - Medicare Advantage (HMO)
- Humana Medicare Advantage Group Plan - NC State Retirees
- First Medicare Direct
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina
- Carolina Complete Health
- Healthy Blue
- NC Medicaid Direct
- UnitedHealthcare Community Plan
- WellCare of North Carolina
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Advantage Plan 2 (HMO-POS)
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Healthcare Shared Services - Harvard Pilgrim/UHC Options PPO Network
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice and mental health providers do not participate with the plan.
Preparing For Your Visit
- Before your appointment, you will be asked to complete questionnaires to help us understand your lupus symptoms. These questionnaires may be completed online through your Duke MyChart account or in the clinic.
- We suggest you allow about 45 minutes to get to your appointment in addition to your travel time to Durham. This will allow you sufficient time to park, locate the building, get to the clinic, and register. Duke Clinic is approximately a quarter of a mile from the nearest parking deck. Shuttle services and valet parking are available.
- If we are running behind, please understand that it is because we give everyone the personalized attention they need.
- When you arrive, a member of the lupus team will measure your vitals and update your medication list.
- You will meet with and be examined by a rheumatologist who specializes in lupus. Because we are a teaching hospital, you may also be seen and examined by a Duke University School of Medicine student doctor, resident, or fellow.
- A research coordinator may discuss opportunities for you to participate in research to study lupus, as well as clinical trials for new treatments. If you volunteer to participate, they may collect additional information and lab work.
- Your doctor will order lab tests including urine and blood testing to monitor your lupus and check for side effects or complications. Additional tests or referrals may also be made during your visit. Please sign up for Duke MyChart to receive your results in a timely manner.
We provide equal access for all people and offer a range of free accessibility services to patients and visitors who need them.
Free interpreter services can be provided for patients who prefer to communicate in a language other than English.
40 Duke Medicine Cir
Durham, NC 27710-4000
Duke Medicine Circle Parking Garage:
- Located at 302 Trent Drive and features climate-controlled, enclosed walkway to Duke Clinic. A free shuttle is located just outside the garage to escort you to the Duke Medicine Pavilion entrance. This parking garage is most convenient for patients and visitors going to the Duke Medicine Pavilion, Duke Cancer Center, and Duke Clinic.
- Cost: $2 per hour or a maximum $8 per day.
Additional Parking Information:
- Parking for oversized vehicles is located adjacent to the Duke University Hospital parking deck. To obtain a pass for an oversized vehicle, call 919-684-7275.
- Discount parking tickets are available for $5.00 and are good for free parking on one calendar day. They can be purchased at all medical center gift shops or Duke Parking, which is located on the ground floor of Duke Clinic on Trent Drive. The tickets are good at either garage. Contact Duke Parking Services at 919-684-7275.
- Valet parking is also available at the entrance to Duke Clinic, Monday - Friday from 7:00 am - 6:00 pm for $9 per visit.
- Duke Parking Services can be contacted at: 919-684-7275.
- Watch a video on how to use the parking stations.
Plan your trip to Duke Lupus Clinic - Clinic 1J through GoDurham bus routes 6, 11, 11B, and 20 or GoTriangle bus routes 400, 405, and DRX (Durham-Raleigh Express). The closest bus stops are Trent Dr at Duke Hospital South, Duke Hospital, Erwin Rd at Research Dr, and Erwin Rd at Emergency Dr. If you have trouble accessing these routes, visit GoDurham Access and GoTriangle Access to check if you meet the ADA eligibility for accessible transit programs.
Duke Transit provides free bus service to the Duke University Medical Center campus for students, employees, patients, and visitors. See maps of bus routes.