Duke Child and Adolescent Gender Care
Our team of specialists uses an integrative, holistic approach to provide quality, comprehensive and compassionate family-centered care to transgender youth, gender-expansive youth, and children with differences of sex development.
Our clinic is staffed by experts in pediatric endocrinology, pediatric urology, clinical social workers, and counselors in psychology/psychiatry and spiritual care. We also partner with doctors, surgeons and counselors in neonatology, genetics, family and community medicine, adolescent medicine, voice disorder services, fertility, and nutrition.
We offer the multiple services your child and family needs in one convenient location. Our clinic is open two days per month.
Please note: Due to increasing demand, we are currently booking new patient appointments several months out. We are working on strategies to accommodate this increased demand. Thank you for your patience.
We provide treatment, support, education and counseling to transgender youth who are exploring their gender identity and gender expression, as well as their families. We also treat people with gender dysphoria, which occurs when sex and gender assigned at birth do not align with a person’s gender identity.
Visit planforduke.com to view the full list of plans Duke Health will accept in 2020 from each carrier or network.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any copayments, co–insurance, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care does not participate with the plan.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
Please check your filter options and try again.
Preparing For Your Visit
- Duke Hospital parking garage is located across Erwin Road from the hospital. Vehicles enter one block north, at 2223 Elba Street. The garage is walking distance from the hospital entrance.
- Visitors may take a secure, well-lighted and climate-controlled walkway under Erwin Road. To reach the walkway, take a parking garage elevator down to Level RT (for "tunnel") and follow the signs to Duke Children’s Hospital & Health Center. This parking garage is most convenient for patients and visitors who intend to use the Erwin Road hospital entrance, or visit Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center.
- The cost is $2 per hour or a maximum $8 day.
- Parking for oversized vehicles is located adjacent to the Duke University Hospital parking deck. To obtain a pass for an oversized vehicle, call 919-684-7275.
- Discount parking tickets are available for $4.00 and are good for free parking on one calendar day. They can be purchased at all medical center gift shops or Duke Parking, which is located on the ground floor of Duke clinics on Trent Drive. The tickets are good at either garage. Contact Duke Parking Services at 919-684-7275.
- Valet parking is also available at the entrance to Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center, Monday - Friday from 5:00 am - 10:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 am - 9:00 pm for $9 per day.