Erik F. Hauck, MD
My research and clinical focus is cerebrovascular disease, specifically the treatment of brain aneurysms, brain arteriovenous malformations, carotid disease, Moya-moya and stroke. I also treat patients with brain tumors and spine issues. In general, I like to analyze complex problems and propose simple solutions. In neurosurgery, typically, the simplest solution is the safest. Your safety and best possible treatment is my number one priority. More often than not, you may be surprised to learn that after thorough analysis of all the information, you may not need treatment, but instead careful observation. If treatment is indicated, I provide a comprehensive spectrum of care including radiosurgery, minimally invasive treatment in the cathlab, and open surgery. At Duke, I love to be able to offer these services as a member of a friendly and fabulous team. In addition, I am proud to be able to provide the newest clinical treatment options available. My ultimate goal is to further improve patient experience and outcomes. My hobbies are playing the piano, hiking, skiing and gardening, which I enjoy together with my wife and four children.
Ratings and Reviews
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about our survey process. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Training and Education
Clinical Focus and Research
My research aims to advance treatment for ischemic stroke, brain aneurysm and arteriovenous malformations. Using intravital video microscopy, I have been able to investigate the pathophysiology of ischemic stroke. After the initial insult, patients deteriorate further through an inflammatory response (secondary injury). Reducing this response helps the development of new neuro-protective agents to improve outcome after stroke. In 2009, we had initial clinical success in the experimental use of stents in the treatment of acute stroke. The concept has been further developed. Today, specially designed stents are clinically available as a so-called "stent retriever" aka "stent on a stick". As a break-through, the application of these stents has dramatically changed our field. Since 2015 stroke catheter interventions have become the standard of care, similarly to catheter interventions for a heart attack by the interventional cardiologist. Other recently designed stents divert the blood flow away from brain aneurysms and make a cure possible even for giant aneurysms through a needle stick in the groin. We are in the process of refining our indications and further improve our devices.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.