Community Clergy Guidelines
Duke University Hospital values the spiritual care you provide your congregants. We recognize the importance of spiritual care in the healing and caring for patients and the role of the patient's clergy in the provision of that care. The following guidelines have been established to facilitate the care and healing of our patients and the ministry of the clergy provider.
Clergy is defined as an ordained clergy, such as a rabbi, priest, pastor, Islamic cleric, associate pastor, licensed minister, or lay minister serving under the direction of the congregation such as Roman Catholic Eucharistic ministers.
Clergy Badge Request Process
We are required to secure the necessary information to approve your clergy badge as part of our responsibility to protect Duke University Hospital patients. Please follow the guidelines to fill out the application.
- Clergy may also request badge information by email or by mail. Our address is Duke Pastoral Services, DUMC Box 3122, Durham, NC 27710. You may also request badge information in person at our office, 225 Baker House - Duke Clinic Entry 4. Or, call 919-684-3586.
- To be eligible to receive your CID, the completed application must include:
- Completed and signed application;
- Signed and dated Clergy Patient Visitation Guidelines;
- Proof of Ordination or a letter, on institution letterhead, from an officer of the body indicating you are recognized and designated for providing pastoral visitation; and
- Copy of your government-issued photo identification with full name and date of birth [ID number may be redacted or blacked out.]
- All completed forms must be returned to Pastoral Services via mail, email or in person. When all forms and supportive information are submitted, a check of the religious body affiliation will be made. When verified, Pastoral Services will request a Duke Unique ID number.
- Once a Duke Unique ID number is obtained, the application will be signed by the Pastoral Services director or designee, and the form will be returned to the applicant. Please allow three to five business days for verification to be completed and returned. Please plan ahead to allow time for completion of this process.
- Please take your approved form to the Duke Card Services center located on the lower level of Duke Clinics, near the blue elevator, and next to the Medical Center Bookstore. Please bring your photo ID, pay the $5.00 fee, and have your picture ID made.
- The ID is good for one year and must be renewed annually.
- Please notify Pastoral Services of any changes from your original application such as a change of mailing address or email address.
A Pastoral Services Parking Pass [PSPP], to assist with parking costs, is provided to each clergy person with an approved CID Badge through the Department of Pastoral Services Office. When you have completed the application or renewal process and have your CID badge, you may pick up your PSPP from Department of Pastoral Services Office, 225 Baker House. Please do not hesitate to contact us for directions.
The PSPP may be used at all Duke University Hospital parking garages and is effective July 1 to June 30. new PSPP will be issued in June each year to clergy with active guest accounts.
Clergy Badge Renewal Process
- To renew your Clergy ID, you must complete a Clergy ID Renewal Form annually. An active clergy ID is required to receive a Pastoral Services Parking Pass.
- If you are the pastor of the same congregation, please complete the top section (name, signature, date and email address) of the Clergy Badge Renewal Form. Please include any changes, such as new email address or phone number. Return form and letter to us by email, fax, or mail.
- If you moved to a new congregation, please complete the entire Clergy Badge Renewal Form, AND include a letter on institutional letterhead indicating you are recognized and designated to provide pastoral visitation. Return form and letter to us by email, fax or mail.
- We will approve this form and return it to you. Please send your renewal application at least one week before your badge expires.
- Bring your approved form to the Duke Card/Parking Office to secure your badge. Also, a photo ID and $5.00 fee are required to obtain your badge.
If you have questions, please contact our office at 919-684-3586.
Clergy Visitation Guide
- Clergy badge must be worn while in the hospital.
- Visit only members of your congregation or faith or those people requesting your visit.
- Please identify yourself to the health unit coordinator (at main desk on unit) before visiting patients and inquire about visitation guidelines.
- Respect the wishes of patients who do not desire a clergy visit.
- Religious literature is to be left only with the patient visited.
- Always wash your hands before and after visiting each patient.
- If you have symptoms of a cold, flu or other disease, please do not visit.
- Contact nursing staff if isolation precautions are observed on patient door.
- Do not disclose any information regarding the patient in Duke University Hospital, including that the patient is or was hospitalized, the reason for hospital treatment, or the patient's medical condition without the express consent of the patient, or a legal guardian if the patient is a minor or unable to give consent..
- Limit use of clergy badge to your professional function as a clergy visitor.
- I understand that the Pastoral Services Parking Pass [PSPP] is for my use only and I will limit use of the PSPP to my clergy visits.
- Return your badge when you are no longer affiliated with the congregation identified on your application.
- Notify Pastoral Services of any changes to your original application.