In support of improving patient care, Duke University Health System Clinical Education and Professional Development is accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), to provide continuing education for the health care team. The designation was based upon the quality of the educational activity and its compliance with the standards and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). In order to receive these CEs you must attend the professional track of sessions and pay the professional attendee fee.
September 7, 2023
8:00 am - 4:30 pm (EST)
Presentations at the Duke Caregiver Community Event will inform and educate you about your options for support from Duke Health and in the community.
Click each timeframe below to find information about presentations and resources available to you on September 7, 2023.
Registration will open in June 2023.
Creating A Safe Space (8:00 am - 3:00 pm)
- Aging and living with chronic illness can cause challenges for mobility as well as increasing an older adult's risk of falling. The Duke Caregiver Community Event will feature a before-and-after demonstration of how to modify an older adult’s living space, remove potential hazards, and make a safer environment. Home-modification professionals and physical and occupational therapists will be present to talk about common household hazards and how they can be eliminated or modified to reduce the risk of falling.
DukeWELL-ness Clinic (8:00 am - 4:00 pm)
Coordinator: Lisa Stewart Ray
- As a caregiver, you are constantly caring for others but we want you to take a minute to care for yourself. Sign up for a 15-minute health and wellness visit with “DukeWELL." Each assessment offers a cholesterol check, A1C (blood sugar) measurement, blood pressure reading, body mass index calculation, atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) risk assessment for heart attack, depression scale, as well as flu and pneumonia vaccines. Once you’ve completed your initial screening, you can talk with a licensed clinician to review your results, ask health questions, and learn more about local resources. Your health and wellbeing is our health and wellbeing.
Switching Roles Photo Gallery (8:00 am - 4:30 pm)
By Anna Rathkopf & Jordan Rathkopf, Photographers and Directors, The Rathkopfs
- "Switching Roles" is a story told through photographs. It captures the complexities of a mother-daughter bond as Anna Rathkopf and her mother, Helena, reverse caregiving roles. These intimate images explore themes of love, support, and resilience, offering a thought-provoking look at the human experience and the nature of family—a reflection on the power of the human spirit.
Dogs with a Purpose (12:40 pm - 1:00 pm)
- Visit with certified therapy dogs after lunch. Dogs with a Purpose are coming to be part of your wellbeing. The benefits of certified therapy dog visits include facilitating a sense of calm and relaxation as well as lowering anxiety, alleviating loneliness, and even normalizing heart rate and blood pressure.
Step right up and take a seat during these quick caregiver mini-sessions designed to give short bites of helpful information to assist you during your caregiving role. Pop-up mini sessions will take place during breaks in the demonstration area.
- Know the Signs of a Stroke: BE FAST (Duke Health)
- Medicare Advantage: Is It Right for You? (North Carolina Senior Medication Patrol)
- Know the 10 Signs (Alzheimer's) (Alzheimer's Association of Eastern North Carolina)
- Tour Through a Comprehensive Estate Planning Portfolio (Clarity Legal Group)
Get a preview of the type of information you can learn during our event. Archived presentations from the 2022 conference are available for free.
- Register for the event (coming soon).
- Read answers to frequently asked questions.
The Duke Caregiver Community Event is made possible by our organizers, sponsors, and exhibitors.