Creating A Safe Space (8:00 am - 3:00 pm)
- Aging and living with chronic illness can cause challenges for mobility as well as increase an older adult's risk of falling. The Duke Caregiver Community Event will feature a before-and-after demonstration of how to modify an older adult’s living space, remove potential hazards, and make a safer environment. Home modification professionals and physical and occupational therapists will be present to talk about common household hazards and how they can be eliminated or modified to reduce the risk of falling.
Virtual Dementia Tour (8:00 am - 3:30 pm)
Spring Arbor Senior Living
- The Virtual Dementia Tour™ is an up-close, hands-on experience to help caregivers better understand some of the seemingly inappropriate and, at times difficult, behaviors exhibited by those with dementia. Attendees of the Virtual Dementia Tour™ will gain a greater understanding of dementia through the use of patented sensory tools and instruction.
Hands-only CPR (8:00 am - 3:00 pm)
Tracy Stell, BSN, RN, CNML, Clinical Nurse Educator, Duke Health Life Support Training Center Coordinator
- Learn how to perform hands-only CPR and how to use an automated external defibrillator (AED). You'll also learn how to recognize a stroke or heart attack and how to help.
DukeWELL-ness Clinic (8:00 am - 4:00 pm)
- Sign up for a complementary 15-minute health and wellness visit with “DukeWELL." Each assessment offers a hemoglobin A1C (blood sugar) measurement, blood pressure reading, body mass index calculation, vision checks, atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) risk assessment for heart attack, depression scale, breast health education, as well as flu, RSV, and pneumonia vaccines. Once you’ve completed your initial screening, you can talk with a licensed clinician to review your results, ask health questions, and learn more about local resources. Your health and well-being is our health and well-being.
Caregivers: A Labor of Love (8:00 am - 4:30 pm)
By: D Michael Geller, MD, MSW
- Visit with four caregivers through a sequence of photographs depicting how they approach the care of their loved one in the home. Observe how these caregivers make their way through the day and experience joy on their care journey.
Careers@Duke (8:00 am - 4:30 pm)
Jacqueline Huff, Talent Acquisition Consultant, Duke University Health System Talent Acquisition
Location: Windsor Boardroom
- Explore career opportunities with Duke HomeCare and Hospice and be part of Duke Health’s compassionate commitment to advancing health. Sign-on bonuses and access to the nursing career ladder can help you advance your career. Jackie will also share how Duke’s Total Rewards Program is designed to support you — both on and off the clock. Drop-in any time during the event or email Jackie to connect Jacqueline.Huff@Duke.edu or schedule a call with her to discuss a career with Duke HomeCare & Hospice.
Dogs with a Purpose (12:40 pm - 1:00 pm)
- Visit with certified therapy dogs after lunch. Dogs with a Purpose are coming to be part of your wellbeing. The benefits of certified therapy dog visits include facilitating a sense of calm and relaxation as well as lowering anxiety, alleviating loneliness, and even normalizing heart rate and blood pressure.