Duke Rehabilitation Institute
Duke Rehabilitation Institute (formerly Durham Rehabilitation Institute) offers a complete continuum of care, from acute inpatient rehabilitation to individually tailored outpatient program. From tying their shoes to climbing the stairs, we help patients restore their independence.
The Care Team
The care team creates an individualized therapy program to meet each patient's needs. We promote health, independence, and the most active lifestyle achievable. Patients and their families receive training, support, and discharge planning assistance.
Each patient's treatment program is led by the rehabilitation physician and program manager. Other team members include:
- Adult nurse practitioner
- Rehabilitation nurses
- Physical therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Speech therapists
- Recreational therapists
- Registered dietitians
- Admission coordinators
- Discharge planning nurse
- Social worker
Patients have access to all the medical services available at Duke Regional Hospital and Duke Health.
- Require at least two skilled therapies, including physical therapy
- Need and be able to tolerate three hours each day of out of bed therapy
- Require 24-hour rehabilitation nursing and physician medical management
- Have the potential for improvement
- Be able to learn new information
The inpatient unit specializes in short term rehabilitation of patients with a wide range of conditions, including, but not limited to:
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below. Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
Please check your filter options and try again.
The Duke Rehabilitation Institute is spacious 30-bed facility that occupies two wings on the top floor of Duke Regional Hospital.
The institute features:
- Large patient rooms, each with television, telephone, Wi-Fi access, and a wheelchair-accessible bathroom with roll-in shower
- State-of-the-art gym, including a suspension walking assistance device and indoor practice car (adjustable to the height of a patient's personal car)
- Practice kitchen with standard and wheelchair accessible equipment
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing
- Visi-Pitch, a computerized speech/voice feedback system
- On-site laundry facilities
- Evening and weekend recreational activities, including pet therapy
- Stroke support group
- Community re-entry activities
Preparing For Your Visit
Free visitor parking is located at the front of the hospital.