Duke Raleigh Hospital: Emergency Room
Our team of registered nurses, board-certified emergency medicine doctors, emergency medicine nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and technicians are trained to provide all aspects of emergency care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We are located in the Duke Raleigh Hospital North Pavilion.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you're unsure how serious your condition is, call your doctor's office or your health insurance company's nurse line for advice if your doctor isn't available. Or, use this guide to help you decide where to go for timely and cost-effective medical care.
We provide care for injuries including falls, motor vehicle accidents and gunshot wounds. Patients who need complex specialty care may be assessed and stabilized by the emergency department medical staff, then transported to Duke University Hospital or WakeMed Hospital, when needed, through Duke LifeFlight and other emergency transport services. We also accept transfers from other facilities for care related to stroke as we are the only primary stroke center in Wake County.
Wait times are a concern in any emergency department. How quickly one is seen is dependent on many factors. During peak emergency times, an emergency department provider is stationed at the emergency room registration area to perform a medical screening exam and initiate care upon patients’ arrival.
Read more: 9 facts about emergency care
Heart and Stroke Care
- As a Joint Commission-certified Primary Stroke Center, we are trained in the latest procedures and technology, and offer the highest level of specialized stroke care from the second you arrive in the emergency room.
- Our efforts to improve cardiac care include an emergency response protocol for heart attack that ensures patients receive life-saving treatment as quickly as possible.
Additional Emergency Department Areas
- The P.I.T. (Provider in Triage) area treats people with minor illnesses or injuries.
If you need medical attention that is not life-threatening, please visit one of our conveniently located urgent care clinics or you can reserve your spot online.
Read more: Should you go to urgent care?
For questions about the following, please visit:
- Duke My Chart to make follow up appointments and access portions of your medical record
- Understanding your bill for questions about your bill and payment options
- Patient and visitor relations to submit a suggestion, concern or compliment
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks. Please call your insurance company to confirm your access to health care services at Duke Health locations and what (if any) co-payments, co-insurances and deductibles will be your responsibility. Duke Raleigh Hospital provides medical screening exams and stabilizing treatment for patients with emergency medical conditions regardless of ability to pay.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Assure Plan (HMO D-SNP)
- Aetna Medicare Eagle Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Value Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Aetna/CVS Health
- Ambetter of North Carolina
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Connect Individual Family Plan
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Choice - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice - Medicare Advantage (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus - Medicare Advantage (HMO)
- Humana Medicare Advantage Group Plan - NC State Retirees
- First Medicare Direct
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina
- Carolina Complete Health
- Healthy Blue
- NC Medicaid Direct
- WellCare of North Carolina
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Advantage Plan 2 (HMO-POS)
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Healthcare Shared Services - Harvard Pilgrim/UHC Options PPO Network
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice and mental health providers do not participate with the plan.
The Duke Raleigh emergency department is located just off of Highway 440 in Raleigh.
Our staff provides immediate care to more than 50,000 sick or injured people each year from Wake County and surrounding areas. People of all ages come to our hospital’s emergency room for serious medical conditions that need immediate medical attention.
Preparing For Your Visit
Accessing Our Facility
Visitors to the Duke Raleigh Hospital Emergency Department must submit to a metal detector screening. Guests of patients at Duke Raleigh Hospital's Emergency Department must also sign in to our visitor management system. In order to create a visitor sticker, the front desk team members will utilize an iPad to scan a guest's driver’s license to capture the guest’s name or allow guests to fill in the information themselves. After 12 hours, the sticker will fade to the word “VOID” and the guest will be required to revisit the front desk, if necessary, for a new badge. This change allows our team members to better track guests and patients waiting for care.
We provide equal access for all people and offer a range of free accessibility services to patients and visitors who need them.
Free interpreter services can be provided for patients who prefer to communicate in a language other than English.
Free Wi-Fi Available
3400 Wake Forest Rd
Raleigh, NC 27609-7317
Free parking is available in parking deck two (P2) is just to the left the Duke Raleigh Hospital emergency entrance.
Plan your trip to Duke Raleigh Hospital: Emergency Room through GoRaleigh bus routes 2 and 24L. The closest bus stops are Wake Forest Rd at Navaho Dr and Wake Forest Rd at St Albans Dr (Hilton Midtown). If you have trouble accessing these routes, visit GoWake Access to check if you are eligible for Wake County's accessible transit program.