Jonathan Robert Manning Kaplan, MD
Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgeon, Orthopaedic Surgeon
I pursued the specialty of Orthopaedic surgery as I was drawn to the opportunity to care for patients on their journey to maintain or return to an active and healthy lifestyle. In particular, the subspecialty of foot and ankle surgery was especially appealing as the foot and ankle serve as the foundation for the entire musculoskeletal system, with a broad array of pathology and patient populations being affected. I have the honor of caring for patients of all walks of life including all ages and activity levels.
I have a passion for minimally invasive surgery of the foot and ankle including minimally invasive bunion surgeries, deformity correction / reconstruction, and fusions. Additionally, I am passionate about arthroscopic (camera guided) surgery including treatment of common sports injuries (ligaments, tendon, cartilage) as well as arthroscopic deformity correction and fusions. Through this passion I have been on the forefront of advancement of minimally invasive foot and ankle surgery not only as a clinician but also as an instructor in these techniques.
Ratings and Reviews
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about our survey process. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score. Patients who see some types of providers receive a different version of the patient satisfaction survey. Those results are not available on DukeHealth.org.
Training and Education
Clinical Focus and Research
My research interests primarily revolve around minimally invasive surgeries of the foot and ankle as I truly believe that these are the future of orthopaedic foot and ankle surgery. This includes clinical and benchwork studies focusing on the treatment of common pathologies including bunions, hammertoes, foot and ankle arthritis, achilles tendonitis, ankle instability, and deformities. I am also interested in research revolving around medical education and mentorship with the goal of being able to provide growth in the field of mentorship in medical education.
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare Assure Plan (HMO D-SNP)
- Aetna Medicare Eagle Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Value Plan (HMO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Aetna/CVS Health
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Connect Individual Family Plan
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- Gateway Health Alliance
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Choice - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare - Medicare Advantage (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice - Medicare Advantage (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus - Medicare Advantage (HMO)
- Humana Medicare Advantage Group Plan - NC State Retirees
- First Medicare Direct
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
- AmeriHealth Caritas North Carolina
- Carolina Complete Health
- Healthy Blue
- NC Medicaid Direct
- WellCare of North Carolina
- TRICARE Prime
- TRICARE Prime Remote
- TRICARE Select
- AARP Medicare Advantage Plan 2 (HMO-POS)
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Healthcare Shared Services - Harvard Pilgrim/UHC Options PPO Network
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice and mental health providers do not participate with the plan.
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- DJO/Enovis Medical
- Edge Surgical
- GLW Medical Innovations
- Surgical Fusions Inc.
- treace medical concepts, inc.