Jeffrey Crawford, MD
When someone is faced with a diagnosis of lung cancer, they may be going through surgery, radiation treatment, chemotherapy or enrolling in a clinical trial. It’s a very complicated process to understand what’s involved and what may happen next. It’s also hard to hear all the answers if you’re by yourself. We encourage our patients to come with family members and friends and loved ones and particularly to identify one or two main go-to people in terms of care-giving and support. That way we can engage them in the whole process. Just as we have a team taking care of the patient, the patient has a team, too. At Duke, we have the opportunity to engage patients in the very latest treatment approaches, whether it’s a new surgical technique, the latest radiation approach, or some novel chemotherapy, immunology, or targeted therapy, several of which we’ve been developing. Duke provides patients with a real opportunity that they may not have elsewhere.
Ratings and Reviews
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about our survey process. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Training and Education
Clinical Focus and Research
My practice involves medical treatment of patients with lung cancer, mesothelioma and other thoracic cancers. I am part of a team including an oncology nurse, physician assistant, pharmacist and counselor. Together we provide state-of-the-art care to our patients involving chemotherapy, targeted treatment, immunotherapy and supportive care. We are part of a larger multidisciplinary group including other medical oncologists, thoracic surgeons, radiation oncologists, pulmonologists, radiologists and pathologists. Whenever possible, we try to provide our patients with the latest technology and treatments, which often involves clinical trials with new and exciting agents that are making a difference in the lives of our patients today.
ECOG-ACRIN E4512 for Non-Small Cell Lung CancerIRB# PRO00060199 , NCT# NCT02201992
Alliance A071701 (Brain Metastases)IRB# PRO00104080 , NCT# NCT03994796
ECOG-ACRIN EA6174 (Merkel Cell Carcinoma)IRB# PRO00103859 , NCT# NCT03712605
Alliance A081105: Non-Small Cell Lung CancerIRB# PRO00057973 , NCT# NCT02193282
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Amgen, Inc.
- Beyond Spring
- G1 Therapeutics
- Jansen Biotech
- Merck Sharpe & Dohme (Merck & Co, USA)
- Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Spectrum Health