Daniel J. George, MD
I specialize in the care of patients with urologic cancers – mainly prostate cancer, kidney cancer, bladder cancer and testicular cancer. A cancer diagnosis is one of the scariest things that can happen to someone. For many of our patients, they don’t necessarily feel different or look different, but they are scared to death. The most important thing you can get from Duke is real understanding of your particular case and what your options are. Knowledge is so reassuring and empowering for patients, especially those recently diagnosed with cancer. When you’re first diagnosed, you have to put your trust in a care team, and that’s hard to do if you don’t already know them. As the largest cancer center in North Carolina, Duke has great reputation and experience, which helps many patients chose Duke for their care. But we grow and develop our trust with patients because of who we are as people and how much expertise and care we bring to each case.
Ratings and Reviews
The Patient Rating score is an average of all responses to care provider related questions on our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Learn more about our survey process. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
Training and Education
Clinical Focus and Research
I oversee a large clinical research team at Duke focused on developing therapy and improving care and outcomes for patients with urologic cancers, mostly prostate, kidney and bladder cancer. Our work involved both interventional trials with new and emerging therapies as well as diagnostic tests and markers of cancer biology, response and outcome. We have particular interest in immuno-oncology agents as well as targeted therapy. We also are heavily invested in understanding ways to improve the cancer experience for patients including many lifestyle interventions and supports. We have a significant proportion of African American patients and have a particular interest in understanding the differences in their disease and improving care delivery for this population. Our diverse team includes other physicians as well as clinical research nurses, data managers, and regulatory and other allied health services staff.
PANTHER: For Advanced Prostate CancerIRB# PRO00075097 , NCT# NCT03098836
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.
- Advanced accelerator Applications
- American Association for Cancer Research
- AstraZeneca Healthcare Foundation
- AveXis (Novartis)
- Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals
- Exelixis, Inc.
- Janssen AI (Johnson & Johnson)
- Michael J Hennessey/OncLive
- Millenium Medical Publishing Inc
- Movember Foundation
- Myovant Sciences, Inc
- Platform Q Health Inc
- physician education resources llc