Duke weight management specialists counsel and oversee non-surgical treatments to help you change your eating habits, adopt healthy lifestyle habits, lose weight, and maintain your weight loss. We have been helping people successfully lose weight, manage medical conditions, and transform their lives for more than 50 years. Here's how we can help you live a healthy, active, fulfilling life.
- We work with you through virtual and in-person appointments to help you identify and achieve realistic weight loss goals.
- We customize our treatment recommendations to your individual needs and preferences.
- We offer all of our services – medical weight management, nutrition, behavioral health, and exercise guidance – using a convenient and comprehensive approach.
- Our experts work closely together to provide the proper guidance and support to help you in your weight and health journey.
Read about our amenities and get directions to our clinic.
How We Can Help You
If you want to lose weight and have struggled to do so on your own, we can help. Our experts help people to lose weight for many reasons such as:
- Your weight increases your risk for a medical condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease.
- You want to lose weight to improve one of these conditions or others like sleep apnea or osteoarthritis.
- You do not qualify for weight loss surgery.
- You might be interested in weight loss surgery but are not ready to take that step.
- You had weight loss surgery and are now struggling to maintain the weight loss.
- You want to move more easily, feel more vibrant, or look better.
We've Been Helping People Lose Weight for More Than 50 Years
People who have worked with our experts report they:
- Reduced their risk of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity-related conditions.
- Can move more easily and are less restricted by arthritis and chronic pain.
- Enjoy improved endurance, strength, and flexibility.
- Have a healthier, more balanced approach to eating and activity.
- Are better able to manage stress and enjoy a more positive mindset.
- Successfully changed how they integrate diet and exercise with their lifestyle.
- Continue to experience progress on their own.
Medical Weight Loss Services
Comprehensive Consultation and Ongoing Management
Initially, you’ll meet with your weight management specialist for a comprehensive evaluation that will include a discussion about your medical history as it relates to your weight, eating and activity habits, and any weight-related behavioral issues. Your doctor will use this information to recommend a personalized treatment plan.
Exams and Tests
You will undergo baseline and periodic physical examination and testing to assess your weight, waist circumference, blood pressure, and blood cholesterol, triglycerides, and glucose levels, among others. This information is used to search for underlying causes of weight gain and monitor medical conditions that are sensitive to diet, exercise, and weight loss, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
Body Composition Measurement With Bod Pod®
Initial and ongoing assessments may include a body composition measurement using the Bod Pod. This highly accurate, full-body capsule can detect the smallest changes in body fat and lean body mass. It can be used to measure the success of your weight management program. Currently, this service is not covered by insurance.
Initial Tests Prices
- $85 per person, $145 for two people when tests are scheduled to take place at the same time.
- Duke staff, military, and civil servants: $72.50 per person, $125 for two people when tests are scheduled at the same time.
- Duke patients on Optifast meal replacement program: $42.50
- $60 per person
- Duke staff, military, and civil servants: $50
- Duke patients on Optifast meal replacement program: $50
Sign up to receive more information about the services and programs provided at the Duke Lifestyle and Weight Management Center.
Low-Calorie, Meal Replacement Program
If appropriate, your doctor may recommend that you follow a very-low-calorie, meal replacement program such as OPTIFAST® to help you lose weight and lower your blood pressure, cholesterol, and glucose. This highly successful, multi-week program provides nutritionally complete soups, bars, and shakes, and includes weekly provider visits plus group support sessions led by one of our nutrition, behavioral health, fitness, or medical experts. During weekly visits, your provider will monitor your vital signs, your weight loss, and be on the lookout for any signs that might indicate a medical issue. Over time, your doctor will work with you to slowly reintroduce food into your diet as you reach your weight goal. Currently, this program is not covered by insurance, but consultations with your doctor or dietitian may be.
Our registered dietitians /nutritionists will conduct a nutrition assessment and create a plan with you that addresses your weight and health goals. Your nutritionist will learn about your personal needs and then assist with creating a nutrition plan and setting lifestyle goals to help you adopt healthier eating habits. During regular visits, you’ll learn how to plan meals that can be adapted to your preferences or if you have cultural eating limitations, food allergies, or other intolerances.
We believe your mind is as important as your body when trying to achieve your weight and health goals. That’s why we offer behavioral health counseling. They help you to identify behaviors and emotions that prevent successful weight loss, such as binge eating, emotional and mindless eating, self-image concerns, anxiety, and life stress. We help you build confidence and motivation to make healthy lifestyle changes and reach your goals.
Exercise and Fitness
Our exercise physiologists can conduct a thorough fitness and ability assessment, and then create a plan tailored to increase your stamina, strength, flexibility, and balance, while burning more calories and preventing injury.
You may wish to take part in programs, workshops, and classes through the Duke Integrative Medicine Center or the Duke Health and Fitness Center. Your doctor can help you understand how these options, such as acupuncture, massage, yoga therapy and more, can aid your weight loss journey.
If your provider determines that your body mass index and medical conditions make you a candidate for weight loss surgery, he or she can help you understand if this option is right for you and prepare you to be as successful as possible.
Our team includes experts who lead one-on-one sessions to facilitate weight loss. These sessions may be performed through our telehealth option or in person. Check with your insurance plan to see which of these services are covered. Our team includes:
Medical Weight Management Specialists
These health care providers include medical doctors and other health care providers who specialize in weight loss and management of health issues related to weight.
Our registered dietitians help you to understand the relationship between nutrition, your weight and your health.
Behavioral Health Specialists
Our licensed clinical psychologists and licensed clinical social workers help you understand and address barriers to a healthy lifestyle change.
Our exercise physiologists help you to identify and overcome barriers that prevent you from starting an exercise program, then show you how to exercise more safely and effectively.
You may also choose to work with our nutritionists, fitness experts, and behavioral health specialists as your own personal health coach who can help you implement your plan.