Infectious Disease Care
Duke’s infectious disease experts are recognized around the world as leaders in the diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases, including HIV, HIV-hepatitis co-infection, endocarditis, tuberculosis (TB), fungal infections, and infectious diseases associated with transplants.
Comprehensive Care for Infectious Diseases
Our infectious disease specialists are among the most highly respected in the world. We developed what is now known as the Duke criteria to diagnose endocarditis, an inflammation of the inner layer of the heart. We are also involved in the full spectrum of research to better understand the risk factors associated with -- and develop treatments for -- fungal, bacterial, and viral infections.
Our goal is to provide you with a personalized treatment plan in a caring, compassionate setting, so you feel better as soon as you walk through our doors.
- Leaders in HIV research and treatment. Duke researchers played integral roles in the development of several key drugs used to treat HIV, including AZT (zidovudine) and T20 (enfuvirtide). We provide compassionate, caring treatment to people with HIV. We use the latest therapies available, connect you with a physician who will take care of you every step of your journey, and provide ongoing social work support in a comforting, nonjudgmental environment.
- Access to clinical trials. Our doctors are very active in research in all aspects of infectious diseases. As a result, you may be eligible to participate in clinical trials and gain access to new therapies before they become widely available.
- Advanced care for respiratory viruses including influenza. Our infectious disease and critical care specialists incorporate innovative approaches -- including novel uses of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) -- to care for patients who are very ill with influenza and its complications.
- Nontuberculous mycobacterial infections (NTM) expertise. We have nationally recognized expertise in treating these complicated infections and are listed in the NTM Info and Research Inc. (NTMir) directory of recommended providers.
- Expertise in preventing and treating infections caused by superbugs. Our doctors are skilled in existing and new strategies for fighting methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Clostridium difficile (“C diff”), carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE), and other serious multi-drug-resistant organisms.
- Dedicated physicians. We’ll assign you a single attending physician who is committed to seeing you through your course of treatment, so you’ll see the same doctor every time you visit us.
- Extensive social and mental health support. Our infectious disease team includes trained social workers, psychiatrists, and mental health counselors. Our staff members work closely with your case manager to make sure you feel better physically, emotionally, and mentally.
- Advanced medical records technology. Our secure online portal, MyChart, allows you to view test results, make appointments, request prescription refills, and message your doctor using any Web-enabled device. Our technology allows anyone on your care team to securely access your health information, making sure you always get care that’s right for you and based on the latest evidence.
- A team-based approach to care. Our infectious disease specialists work closely with specialists across Duke, including our heart, orthopaedic, and transplant teams. You not only get the expertise of our infectious disease team but that of the many nationally-ranked teams across Duke Health as well.