Andrada Delia Neacsiu, PhD
I am a clinical psychologist with a primary interest in outpatient interventions for difficulties managing emotional experiences that interfere with well-being. As a clinician, I specialize in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for adults who report a variety of mental health problems, including personality, mood, anxiety, eating, trauma, stress-related, adjustment, and impulse control disorders. My approach to psychotherapy includes working collaboratively with my patients to identify their unique life and therapy goals and to implement evidence-based interventions in order to achieve their identified goals. As an educator, I train clinicians nationally and teach Duke graduate students, psychology and psychiatry residents in in how to effectively apply CBT and DBT in their clinical work. As a researcher, I focus on psychotherapy optimization and neuroscience-informed treatment development for emotion dysregulation. My research keeps me up to date with the latest evidence-based approaches to use in my clinical work, and my work with patients strongly influences the research that I do. Outside of work, I enjoy traveling, gourmet food, nature adventures, and time with friends with family.
During my graduate and post-graduate education, I received excellent training in conducting clinical trials for transdiagnostic and difficult-to-treat psychiatric patients, including those with severe difficulties with managing emotions. I have been involved in, managed and conducted several clinical trials that examined traditional behavioral interventions for borderline personality disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, substance dependence, and mood and anxiety disorders with high emotion dysregulation. Building from these experiences, my research program aims to identify innovative solutions for critical gaps in how we characterize and develop new interventions for problems with emotions across mental health disorders. For example, I have been recently funded by the Brain and Behavior foundation and by the Duke PRIDe Award to conduct a pilot trial examining whether neurostimulation can enhance the efficacy of behavioral skills training in reducing problems with emotions in a transdiagnostic clinical sample.
Neurostimulation and Psychotherapy for problems with emotionsIRB# PRO00066383 , NCT# NCT02573246
Duke Health contracts with most major health insurance carriers and transplant networks, including the ones listed below.
- Aetna Choice POS, Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Elect Choice HMO, Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Health Network Only, Aetna Health Network Option
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Limited Benefit Insurance PPO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS
- Aetna Medicare HMO Open Access
- Aetna Medicare Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Premier Plan (PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Prime Plan (HMO, PPO)
- Aetna Open Access HMO, Open Access Aetna Select, Aetna Open Access Managed Choice
- Aetna Open Choice PPO
- Aetna PCP Coordinated POS Plan
- Aetna Quality Point of Service (QPOS)
- Aetna Select HMO
- Aetna Traditional Choice
- Aetna Voluntary Indemnity Group Plan
- Aetna Whole Health – Duke WakeMed WKCC
- Ambetter of North Carolina
Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC
- Blue Advantage
- Blue Medicare (HMO, PPO)*
- Blue Options (123, PPO, HSA)
- Blue Select
- NC State Employees Health Plan
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate in the plan.
- Cigna Choice Plus
- Cigna Behavioral Health (*Limited eligibility)
- Cigna Open Access
- Cigna Open Access Plus
*Please call Cigna Behavioral Heath to see if the provider is participating in your plan.
Duke Group Plans
- Duke Basic
- Duke Select
- Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) Plan
- First Health
- Gateway Health Alliance
Gateway Health Plan
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Prime (HMO)
- Gateway Health Medicare Assured Select (HMO)
- Halifax Physician-Hospital Organization
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana ChoiceCare (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- First Medicare Direct*
- Medicare Part A
- Medicare Part B
*This is for Wake County only.
- MultiPlan / Private Healthcare Systems
- NC Medicaid*
*Not all Duke locations and doctors participate in this plan. Please contact the location you will be visiting to determine what is accepted.
- OneNet PPO
- Optima Family Care (Medicaid HMO in VA)*
- Optima Individual & Family (On & Off Exchange Plans)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
*Duke Primary Care, Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, and Duke Raleigh Hospital are not participating with this plan.
- TRICARE Prime*
- TRICARE Prime Remote*
- TRICARE Select*
*Duke Primary Care is considered an authorized, non-network participating provider.
- AARP Medicare Complete (HMO, PPO)*
- AARP Medicare Complete Essential (HMO)*
- All Savers Alternate Funding
- All Savers Fully Insured
- State Employee Health Plan (for retirees)
- United Healthcare (HMO, PPO, POS)
- United Healthcare Charter/Charter Balance/Charter Plus
- United Healthcare Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Core/Core Essential
- United Healthcare Navigate/Navigate Plus/Navigate Balanced
- United Healthcare of the River Valley
- United Healthcare Option PPO
- United Healthcare Options PPO with Harvard Pilgrim
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Choice/Choice Plus
- United Healthcare Passport Connect Options PPO
- United Healthcare Select/Select Plus
- United Medical Resources (UMR)
*Duke HomeCare and Hospice does not participate with the plan.
Before scheduling your appointment, we strongly recommend you contact your insurance company to verify that the Duke Health location or provider you plan to visit is included in your network. Your insurance company will also be able to inform you of any co-payments, co–insurances, or deductibles that will be your responsibility. If you proceed in scheduling an appointment and your health insurance benefits do not participate with Duke, your out of pocket liability may be higher. We will contact you regarding your coverage and patient liability. If you are uninsured, learn more about our financial assistance policy.