Duke’s groundbreaking pulmonary rehabilitation program sets standards for similar programs around the world. If you have lung disease, we help improve your quality of life.
A dedicated team and facility, a better health outcome
Our team of rehabilitation specialists can provide you with the support you need to make real progress managing your lung condition. Our pulmonary rehabilitation program includes exercises to strengthen your body and mind. Our specialists have helped hundreds of people with COPD, emphysema, interstitial lung disease, asthma and other lung diseases realize their full potential for recovery. Whether you have been newly diagnosed, are preparing for lung surgery or a lung transplant, or are simply focused on maintaining your lung health, we have a program that’s right for you.
Choose Duke for pulmonary rehabilitation because we offer:
- A team committed to your recovery. Our rehabilitation team consists of pulmonary care specialists, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, communication and swallowing therapists, and counselors who work together to, ensure you have the breadth of support necessary to reach your full recovery potential.
- The latest rehabilitation techniques. We have long been at the forefront of pulmonary rehabilitation. You have access to the latest evidence-based treatments and opportunities to participate in studies exploring new approaches to pulmonary rehabilitation.
- A dedicated facility. Our brand new pulmonary rehabilitation facility includes classrooms, exercise equipment, and inhaled oxygen to support your recovery.
- Exercises for the body and mind. In addition to physical therapy, we offer classroom instruction where you can learn about your condition and how to best manage it. We also offer individual, family and psychological counseling so you are mentally prepared to manage your condition.
- Three different programs tailored to your needs. Our medical intensive, perioperative pulmonary and graduate pulmonary programs meet your needs, no matter where you are on the road to recovery.
Our program is open to participants of all ages and all stages of lung disease.
The intensive 4 ½ week pulmonary rehabilitation program includes:
- Physical exercise programs to improve endurance
- General muscle conditioning
- Respiratory muscle conditioning
- Oxygen and aerosol therapy
- Breathing retraining and bronchial hygiene
- Education of the patient and family
- Specialized counseling for participants with psychosocial, nutritional and vocational needs
- Smoking cessation counseling
- Individualized home care program and follow-up
Physical exercise makes up a large part of our program. You will use a variety of exercise equipment, including:
- Stationary bicycles
- Arm ergometers
- Rowing machines
- Strength training equipment
- Plus, a swimming pool and indoor track.
State-of-the-art monitoring equipment provides a safe environment for exercising and helps measure progress. Respiratory and physical therapy services are also available.