Duke Health skin care specialists and cosmetic surgeons provide comprehensive skin care treatment to people for a wide range of reasons. Our many skin care specialists work with people who want to minimize or slow the effects of aging, people who have cosmetic disorders, as well as people whose skin has become sensitive as a side effect of certain treatments. In almost all cases, the first step toward healthier skin is a comprehensive evaluation. This ensures we recommend the right treatment or combination of treatments to help you achieve a healthy appearance that boosts your self-confidence.
Learn about rhinoplasty, facelifts, eyelid surgery, and other facial procedures at our information seminars. These sessions also cover skin products and treatments to enhance your appearance.
What We Do
We offer a variety of treatments to improve skin tone, texture, and appearance. We also offer treatments to correct or repair:
- Acne, acne scars, and surgical scars
- Brown spots (sometimes called liver spots) caused by aging, sun damage, or hyperpigmentation
- Fine lines, wrinkles, and aging concerns
- Dull, dry skin
- Redness and rosacea
- Sensitive or inflamed skin reactions
- Skin darkening caused by melasma hormonal pigmentation
- Unwanted hair
Initial Consultation Determines Next Steps
If you have a skin concern but are unsure about its cause or which treatment is beneficial, your first visit will be with a licensed aesthetician or a medical aesthetician.
- Aestheticians are licensed, skin care professionals who provide treatments designed to enhance the health and beauty of the skin.
- Licensed medical aestheticians have completed additional training. In addition to the health and beauty of the skin, licensed medical aestheticians evaluate people with skin concerns related to a medical condition or treatment. They also provide guidance and treatment recommendations for people with sensitive skin issues.
We Evaluate Your Concerns
Your initial consultation with the aesthetician will not involve any treatments. Instead, the aesthetician will evaluate your concerns and ask questions about different factors that may impact the quality, texture, tone, and appearance of your skin. The questions cover topics such as:
- Your medical history (including conditions that may affect your skin health)
- Products and medications you may be using
- Environmental exposures and lifestyle habits that influence your skin’s appearance and texture
Once a clear picture develops, the aesthetician will recommend treatment options customized to your skin’s needs. They may test different products to ensure an optimal result. Or they may refer you to a surgeon who specializes in cosmetic procedures that will give you the results you want.
Duke Health offers locations throughout the Triangle. Find one near you.
Duke University Hospital is proud of our team and the exceptional care they provide. They are why we are once again recognized as the best hospital in North Carolina, and nationally ranked in 11 adult and 9 pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World Report for 2020–2021.