ALADDIN (Aging and Memory Study) - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to help us identify the underlying causes of brain disorders such as delirium and/or dementia.
Thinking and memory problems after surgery in older adults
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults ages 65+ who:
- Are scheduled to have surgery in the next few months
- Are able to speak English
- Are able to give consent
For more information about the study, please contact the study team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Undergo memory and thinking tests and complete surveys prior to surgery and again 3 months and 1 year after surgery
- Have a blood draw before surgery and again at 3 months and 1 year after surgery
- Have a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) and an MRI/fMRI scan before surgery
- Have your brain activity recorded during surgery through a technique called EEG, which measures brain waves through a thin cap that you wear on your head
To learn more about the study, please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAXWzdeWIk
What is it like to undergo a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) with the Duke Anesthesiology study team? Watch these two videos of Dr. Berger discussing the procedure with two past study participants: