The rankings are compiled from data Leapfrog gets from its own surveys as well as national performance measures from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and the American Hospital Association’s Annual Survey and Health Information Technology Supplement.
Leapfrog selected 28 measures of publicly available hospital safety data, analyzed the data, and created easy-to- view, color-coded charts that indicate how well a hospital performed in specific categories. They include:
- Safety problems with surgery
- Staff followed steps to make surgery safer
- Infection and safety problems
- The right staffing is on hand to prevent safety problems
- Hospital uses standard safety procedures