Also called laser ablation or thermal ablation, LITT provides the benefits of traditional brain surgery with less risk and a shorter recovery time. Because the procedure is minimally invasive, it is especially appropriate if you have undergone prior surgery or radiation or if you have a health condition that increases your risk with traditional brain surgery.
Conditions Treated with LITT
- Returned after surgery or radiation therapy
- Is deep within the brain and may otherwise be inoperable
- Is smaller than three centimeters
Radiation necrosis is a side effect that can occur months or years after radiation therapy for a brain tumor. It is a form of inflammation that can cause permanent loss of brain tissue. It can be difficult to differentiate between radiation necrosis and a recurrent tumor.
LITT may be recommended if you are diagnosed with seizures that:
- Are resistant to medications
- Originate from a well-identified area in the brain