Sweating is the body’s way of cooling down and is necessary to prevent overheating. However, overactive sweat glands that produce more sweat than your body needs can cause discomfort, anxiety, and embarrassment. Excessive sweating -- called hyperhidrosis -- can also result in irritating and painful skin problems, such as infections and chronic peeling.
Duke dermatologists are skilled at diagnosing the underlying cause of excessive sweating and treating even the most complex cases of hyperhidrosis in adults and children. Our doctors work closely with you to develop a personalized plan to treat your condition and improve your quality of life.
Duke Health offers locations throughout the Triangle. Find one near you.
Your doctor will talk to you about your medical history and the symptoms you're having. Your doctor will ask questions such as:
- Where on your body does excessive sweating occur?
- Is there a particular time of day when it occurs?
- Is it triggered by nervousness or when you feel upset?
- Do you often change social plans because you worry about sweating excessively?
- Have you given up hobbies?
- Have you changed careers because of this condition?
Why Choose Duke
Our doctors successfully diagnose and manage care for many patients with hyperhidrosis. We offer many treatment options.
Specialized Care for Children and Teens
Hyperhidrosis affects children and adolescents. Our doctors help many children keep excessive sweating under control, so they can feel confident, enjoy time with friends, and engage in their hobbies.