ONE TEAM Study (Managing Heart Health During Cancer Treatment) - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to improve how patients and their primary care providers can keep up with routine health maintenance during cancer treatments. We want to know if a new model of communication between patients and their doctors can improve health outcomes.
Maintaining and Improving Heart Health for Patients Being Treated for Cancer
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults ages 18-79 who:
- Have a primary care provider
- Are taking a medication for at least one of the following conditions
-- High blood pressure
-- Diabetes/high blood sugar
-- High cholesterol
- Are diagnosed with any of the following cancers
-- Stage I-III breast cancer (female only)
-- Stage I-III colorectal cancer
-- Stage I-III endometrial cancer
-- Stage I-III head/neck cancer
-- Stage I-III non-small cell lung cancer
-- Stage I-IV prostate cancer
For more information about who can be in this study, please contact the study team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Visit our clinic 4 times over the course of 18 months (6 months between each visit)
- Fill out surveys and answer questionnaires
- Have your blood pressure measured
- Have blood draws for testing
We will randomly assign you (like the flip of a coin) to 1 of 2 groups:
- One group will receive the current, standard educational materials about healthy living during cancer treatment and how to transition from cancer care to follow-up care (control group).
- The other group will receive the study intervention (study group).
If you are in the study group, the following will happen:
- We will get in touch with your primary care provider to let them know that you are participating in this study.
- A cancer physician will be in touch with your primary care provider to provide updates.
- You will attend a live webinar to learn about the importance of managing your blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol during and after cancer treatment.
- We will send you a series of brief videos that discuss the importance of maintaining your cardiovascular health during cancer treatment.
At the end of the study, we will call you to get your feedback on what went well and how we can improve. We will pay you for your time on the study.