Mind to Quit Trial (Smoking Cessation) - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to compare 2 different approaches to help people quit smoking. We want to know which of these approaches is most likely to help smokers who have a mental illness and want to stop smoking.
Smoking Cessation for People with Mental Illness
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults ages 18+ who:
- Are diagnosed with one of the following: depression, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or bipolar disorder
- Are receiving treatment for mental health (therapy and/or medication) and plan to continue this treatment while enrolled in the study
- Smoke every day
- Want to quit smoking
- Own an Apple or Android smartphone with a data plan
- Do not regularly use e-cigarettes or any other tobacco product besides regular cigarettes
- Are willing to use nicotine replacement therapy products (patches and gum)
For more information about who can join this study, please contact the study team at email@example.com.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Be randomly assigned (like a coin flip) to 1 of 2 groups
-- One group will use nicotine gum and patches and receive direct advice from a team member about strategies to use to help quit smoking
-- The other group will use nicotine gum and patches and download a mobile app that is being developed to help people quit smoking
- Have 5 Zoom calls with the study team
- Answer questionnaires
- Receive a supply of nicotine patches and gum
- Do breath test(s) for carbon monoxide levels (if you report that you've quit smoking)
Participation in the study will last for about 6 months. We will compensate your for your time on the study.
You can visit our website to get in touch with us and let us know you are interested: http://trianglesmokingstudies.com/i-want-to-quit-smoking/