MitoQ (Asthma) - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to see if an anti-oxidant pill called mitoquinol (mitoQ) might be helpful to control asthma.
Who Can Participate in the Study?
Adults age 18 and older who:
- Are diagnosed with asthma
- Do not smoke
- Are using a regular asthma controller (preventative) medication but still have asthma symptoms
- Have a BMI of 30 kg/m2 or higher
- Have not taken mitoquinol or a similar supplement like idebenone or co-enzyme Q10 in the last 8 weeks
For more information about who can join this study, please contact the study team at (919) 479-0861 or email DukeAirwayResearch@duke.edu.
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Take a daily dose of the study supplement (mitoQ) or a placebo (inactive substance), in pill form, for 12 weeks
- Visit our clinic 6 times over 14 weeks
- Have your lung function tested
- Give blood and urine samples
- Answer questionnaires
- Keep a daily diary of your asthma symptoms
You can take a survey online to see if you might be eligible and to have a study team member contact you: https://redcap.duke.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=AART8KMF8J