PROVE-HCC - Clinical Trial
What is the Purpose of this Study?
We are doing this study to measure quality of life and compare signs such as tiredness, feeling of unease and discomfort in the stomach and pain in patients who have been treated with either PLA or HIGRT for liver cancer.
Who Can Participate in the Study?
-Are diagnosed with 1-3 liver tumors that are less than or equal to 5cm in size
-Can be treated with either PLA or HIGRT
-Have a negative pregnancy test
What is Involved?
If you choose to join this study, you will:
- Be randomly (like drawing numbers from a hat) assigned to one of the following standard of care treatments:
1. Percutaneous Local Ablation (PLA)- This treatment involves inserting special needles into the liver cancer and using microwaves or radiowaves to damage cancer cells in a way that may cause cell death.
2. Hypofractionated Image Guided Radiation Therapy (HIGRT)- In this treatment beams of radiation enter the liver from multiple angles to treat the liver cancer over several treatment sessions (typically 5-10 treatments).
- You will be asked to complete two quality of life surveys before treatment and after treatment at one, three and six months, for a total of four times.
- Be involved in this study for about 8 months