Summer College Student Program
PLEASE NOTE: We are not currently accepting applications for the Summer College Student Program. Information for summer 2019 will be available on this site in spring 2019. College students interested in volunteering during the academic year can review the information for fall applicants here.
Duke University Hospital is pleased to offer a customized volunteer program for college students who are available at a number of different locations throughout the hospital during the summer months. We rely on mature students to provide outstanding service to patients and their families.
Although this program does not provide clinical or shadowing experience, it does provide an opportunity for working within a hospital setting, which is an important pre-qualification for many health professions schools.
Volunteer candidates for this program will:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have completed their freshman year of college
- Be able to complete the application process, including a hospital orientation, within two weeks of the last day of their spring semester.
- Be able to commit a minimum of 50-100 hours (depending on the requirements of the program) for at least 10 weeks between May and August, understanding that references and letters of recommendation may be dependent upon completion of this commitment.
- Be able to commit to a consistent schedule most weeks of the summer.
- All applicants must first arrange an interview with a volunteer coordinator representing a program accepting summer college volunteers. It is recommended that you arrange this interview, if possible, not later than March or April, in order to complete the application process in time for a scheduled May hospital orientation.
- If accepted into a program, you will be asked to complete the application packet. (Download here) to include:
- Application form
- Two written references (non-family member)
- Health screen to include TB test (which must be checked within 72 hours to be valid)
- Background check
- Hospital orientation (Coordinator cannot schedule orientation date until all other documentation is complete.
Please contact our office at email@example.com if you have further questions.
Current College Student Opportunities Include:
Duke Patient Concierge Program - Duke Ambassadors
Various information desks at Duke Clinic, Cancer Center, Duke Medicine Pavilion and Duke North.
Volunteers may assist the efforts of the Duke Patient Concierge Program at Duke Hospital by serving as a Duke Ambassador Volunteer. This program allows our volunteers an unprecedented opportunity to work with our professional Patient Concierge staff, learning how to offer the highest level of service to patients and families.
Volunteers may personally guide and direct patients to appointments, provide important information, directions and way-finding to patients and families, help patients and families locate resources or direct them to the appropriate source if they have a problem or question. Volunteers are expected to offer a very high level of customer service, serving as an extension of the professional team. Volunteers serve as a very important point person for patients and families who visit the hospital. Excellent communication and customer service skills are required.
Summer commitment of a minimum of 50-100 hours required.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an interview.