Returning Student Volunteers
This volunteer program allows students to volunteer at Duke University Hospital with the goal of providing outstanding service to patients and their families.
- Please complete the Tuberculosis Assessment Form BEFORE you return to campus in August.
- Volunteer commitment is for one continuous year, two academic semesters (or 100 hours during the summer, as approved by a volunteer coordinator)
- Weekly volunteer attendance is a minimum of two hours per week. Some programs may require 4 hours per week. These are noted in position descriptions which will be posted by August 1.
- All volunteer hours must be documented in Volgistics, the Volunteer Services software, in order to be counted toward volunteer commitment and letters of recommendation.
- Duke academic advisors have asked to be notified of names of volunteers who fail to show up for interview times which will be held in August. Advisors will also be advised of those who cannot meet their volunteer commitments, without cause or prior approval, once they are accepted and scheduled.
- Please do not sign up for an interview time. Will not re-interview to return to your previous assignment.
- To request a new volunteer assignment, a recommendation form from your previous hospital volunteer coordinator will be needed.
Application Process and Important Dates
- Complete the Tuberculosis Assessment Form (and TB test if needed) before arriving on campus in August. Student health will not be accepting appointments for volunteer health screens before October, so this must be completed by family physician, urgent care etc. in order to meet volunteer requirements in time for fall volunteer schedules.
- MANDATORY orientation for all new volunteers and some returning volunteers will be held on Saturday, September 10. You will only be exempt from this orientation if your volunteer coordinator provides the required hospital annual safety and compliance update for you before you resume volunteer activities in the fall. (Please check with your coordinator for guidance or plan to attend on September 10.)
- All required forms must be presented to your volunteer coordinator upon your return to campus before you resume volunteer activities in the fall.
Download the Tuberculosis Assessment Form.